Turning 25 during first year... independent student? Watch

rubyparkerx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I am currently in my first year studying at university and turning 25 in January. I am having a bit of confusion over maintenance loan.

Does this mean I will be receiving the full maintenance loan for my second and third year as I will be an 'independent student'?

Thanks
Shahrzad SFE
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rubyparkerx)
Hi,

I am currently in my first year studying at university and turning 25 in January. I am having a bit of confusion over maintenance loan.

Does this mean I will be receiving the full maintenance loan for my second and third year as I will be an 'independent student'?

Thanks
Hi Ruby,

You must be referring to the higher amount of Maintenance Loan that is assessed based on your household income. Is that cirrect? Our general guideline is as follows:

Students who are over the age of 25 before the first day of the academic year are automatically classed as independent. This allows them to have their application based on their own household income rather their sponsor(s).

Students who are under the age of 25 before the first day of the academic year are classed as dependent. These students are required to have their sponsor(s) provide their financial details for the requested tax year in order for their application to be income assessed.

So you can provide us with your sponsors/parents income details for this year to apply for the higher amount of Maintenance Loan and as you correctly mentioned you can apply for the higher amount of Maintenance Loan for your second and third year of study without submitting your parents/sponsors income information.

Please let us know if there is anything further we can help with.

Thanks,
Shahrzad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (79)
45.4%
Pro-humanity (95)
54.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise