Turn on thread page Beta

Generalist Fast Stream or reapply for Diplomatic? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

So I applied for the fast stream hoping to get a place on the diplomatic fast stream, but failed at the video interview stage. I was though offered a place on the generalist scheme.

Obviously it's still a good opportunity, but I have always wanted to work internationally, and I worry that by joining the generalist fast stream I would restrict myself to working on domestic matters, which would be fine, but not my dream job.

I'm torn about whether I should accept the generalist role, or reapply next year in the hope of getting the diplomatic scheme. I don't really know whether it's possible to move from the generalist scheme to working in a diplomatic post afterwards, but it hardly seems likely.

I was wondering what people would do if they were in my shoes?

Thanks for your help, and good luck to anyone still in the application process!

ReputationRep:
    Why not do both? accept the generalist scheme for now and then reapply for the Diplomatic scheme next year which you are allowed to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkshadow1111)
    Why not do both? accept the generalist scheme for now and then reapply for the Diplomatic scheme next year which you are allowed to do.
    But by the time the application scheme opens next year I would have signed my contract and started my generalist scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toolson)
    But by the time the application scheme opens next year I would have signed my contract and started my generalist scheme.
    So? Signing your contract doesn't matter - you have a standard leave notice period in the CS.

You are overestimating how much difference there is b/w departments and roles (there can be crap diplomatic fast stream rolestoo ). You are also understimating how much difference 1 extra year of experience makes - if you reapply you will only join in Autumn 2020 (if you are succesfful for diplomatic next year and bare in mind it's really more competitive than generalist).

But by all means, if you have a better job lined up than generalist, reapply next year.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    From what I know about the civil service, getting in is the hard bit - once you’re in, changing departments is doable. Personally, I would say the generalist is a great scheme and gives you experience in the civil service which you can then put on an application to transfer departments after the fast stream finishes. Equally, you must have some interest in the generalist scheme in order to have applied in the first place? So maybe read over the scheme again to see if you would find it interesting.

The diplomatic scheme is so competitive that rejecting generalist just to apply for that one scheme again could be very risky, but if the diplomatic scheme is where your heart really is, then don’t do a job you won’t enjoy - reapply. Good luck with whichever you choose!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
    From what I know about the civil service, getting in is the hard bit - once you’re in, changing departments is doable. Personally, I would say the generalist is a great scheme and gives you experience in the civil service which you can then put on an application to transfer departments after the fast stream finishes. Equally, you must have some interest in the generalist scheme in order to have applied in the first place? So maybe read over the scheme again to see if you would find it interesting.

The diplomatic scheme is so competitive that rejecting generalist just to apply for that one scheme again could be very risky, but if the diplomatic scheme is where your heart really is, then don’t do a job you won’t enjoy - reapply. Good luck with whichever you choose!
    Thank you! This was very helpful.

I think I would still enjoy the generalist scheme, and I suppose it is risky to reapply. I don’t know how possible it would be to move between departments after the scheme but it’s not as though reapplying for the dip scheme is a sure thing either.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am in the exact same boat. I am wondering if anyone knows how long the generalist fast stream is? (The one that starts in September 2019). I seem to remeber the website saying it is two years long, but now it has been changed and says three years. Thanks in advance!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.