Finished first term at Cambridge but no friends Watch

aocaocaoc
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi so I've finished my first term at Cambridge and whilst it's been good and I've met really nice people, I'm kind of disappointed in not making any real friends.

I didn't really click with any of my coursemates in my college, and I stupidly skipped a few of the fresher events (because I don't like drinking or going out with strangers), so I ended up not even meeting like a quarter of the freshers at my college. So now I know very few people from my college, and I'm not really close with my coursemates. I still want to meet new people and try and find people that I might like in my college, and outside.

We've kind of gone past the phase of introductions and no one knowing anyone, and most people have already formed friendship circles so now I don't know how to go about meeting new people within college.

Any tips for specifically meeting people within my college? I've already got a few societies I want to join next term to meet people outside the college.
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aocaocaoc)
Join groups, volunteer for things in College etc, and then restart next year by committing to Freshers week, DO go out and don't drink, and join new societies when lots of people are new. You simply can't make new friends if you don't go out with strangers! You'll find something for sure, there are too many opportunities at Cambridge not to.
aocaocaoc
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Join groups, volunteer for things in College etc, and then restart next year by committing to Freshers week, DO go out and don't drink, and join new societies when lots of people are new. You simply can't make new friends if you don't go out with strangers! You'll find something for sure, there are too many opportunities at Cambridge not to.
Thanks! I'll try looking for groups and opportunities within college - what about going out with new people? Is it acceptable for me to go clubbing with a group of friends I barely know?
Trapmoneybenny
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks! I'll try looking for groups and opportunities within college - what about going out with new people? Is it acceptable for me to go clubbing with a group of friends I barely know?
Don't get your question.... why are you asking if its acceptable to go clubbing? If you've got moral or religious reasons not to, be true to them and don't go if its not your thing (i dont and i dont feel a thing)
If it is and thats what you like, do what you want.
Tbh, the days of being in a class of people and literally having to talk to them cos you see them all year are over, and you've got to join societies or sports clubs to meet people. No one apart from the really extroverted are gonna come and chat you up. Its kind of stepping stone to working life where no one's gonna jump out of their way to talk to you, cos people have things to do.

In summary, go out, join societies you are acclimatized to and meet people.
benwhite13
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you catered
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by benwhite13)
Are you catered
Cambridge colleges are "catered". Although it's not compulsory to go to hall for every meal and they do have (usually limited) self-catering facilities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
aocaocaoc
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trapmoneybenny)
Don't get your question.... why are you asking if its acceptable to go clubbing? If you've got moral or religious reasons not to, be true to them and don't go if its not your thing (i dont and i dont feel a thing)
If it is and thats what you like, do what you want.
Tbh, the days of being in a class of people and literally having to talk to them cos you see them all year are over, and you've got to join societies or sports clubs to meet people. No one apart from the really extroverted are gonna come and chat you up. Its kind of stepping stone to working life where no one's gonna jump out of their way to talk to you, cos people have things to do.

In summary, go out, join societies you are acclimatized to and meet people.
THanks I just meant more specifically going out with people I don't really know but I guess it is normal lol
aocaocaoc
Rep:
?
(Original post by benwhite13)
Are you catered
Yeah we have meals served in hall, although, I've stopped going now simply because I don't know enough people so I feel awkward having to sit alone, and don't feel comfortable sitting next to freshers who sit in their friendship groups
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah we have meals served in hall, although, I've stopped going now simply because I don't know enough people so I feel awkward having to sit alone, and don't feel comfortable sitting next to freshers who sit in their friendship groups
If you recognise any of them just go and sit with them. Or even if you don't... That's how you join a friendship group...

Also what about your immediate neighbours on your staircase? Presumably you are sharing with a gyp with 5 or 6 other people. Do you interact with them?

And have you tried just getting a doorstop to keep your door open when you are in your room so people know you are there and open for a chat.

You do need to take the initiative a bit and engage with others. You *are* still a fresher and there will be plenty of others in a similar situation. The thing is to make the effort to find them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1623)
79.13%
Leave (428)
20.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise