yourGfin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Yo guys,

Tesco, while a fun job, has resulted in taking up loads of time I need to use for my A levels. I didn’t really take this into account when starting because I needed money really bad - although after I get paid my second pay check this is unlikely to be an issue. Just needed something to keep me going on nights out every now and again.

I started in October.
my plan was to take 4 weeks holiday from January pay date to February pay date, get paid those 4 weeks annual leave then quit.

I have now been informed that since holidays are pro rata, although i may be paid, I would have to pay it back to the company.

Can someone inform me what’s my best course of action to maximise money? I can get my contract but have no idea what to do.
yourGfin
Rep:
?
informed by my friends btw not the boss loool
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is there any way of doing less hours? So you can still work there, earn money etc, but it doesnt interfere with your studies.
yourGfin
Rep:
?
Not really. I could do unpaid study leave but at max i’ve heard you can do it for 8 weeks. that would just cover the actual testing times - i want time to do studying really. at max want to work until mid/late january
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You don't say how many hours you work over how many days.

I'd suggest looking at when you work and how it's affecting your study, then talk to your manager to see if you can adjust your hours; but bear in mind that they will be looking at how this will affect their staffing levels. But they might be happy for you to change the days you work if that works better for them.

One of the good things about working in a supermarket is that there's likely to be lots of extra hours available over the summer, particularly if you have a reputation for being a reliable and hard worker. So you might want to stick with it rather than leave. (This might mean that you need to be disciplined about finding time to study and using that time productively. These are good skills to gain before you go to university.)
yourGfin
Rep:
?
I will consider this advice, as I have heard it from a million other people - but no one is answering the question. What’s the best way to maximise my money now. I want to quit by January. I work 9 hours a week but with overtime it’s often more. I can’t cut it down below 9 hours as it’s the lowest contract my store does and it is having adverse affects despite my strict discipline. And when I say that - I mean it; I work my arse off all the time, got offers to go to great universities and I don’t want to throw it away for the sake of a couple hundred quid.
username3638550
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The only way to maximise your money is working more,or getting a better paid job.
yourGfin
Rep:
?
In terms of taking holidays
(Original post by Conconz)
The only way to maximise your money is working more,or getting a better paid job.
in terms of taking holidays
username3638550
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yourGfin)
In terms of taking holidays in terms of taking holidays
What do you even mean?

And you won't be paid and then expected to give it back.
adam277
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Let's say you take 4 weeks off on holiday then quit.
Yes you have to pay back any holiday that you haven't earned. Chances are though they wont chase you for it as it wont be worth their time. People do it all the time but it's a short term way to look at things.

Problem is though if you ever try to work for tesco or anything related to tesco you will likely be blacklisted. Also you will lose the chance of getting a valuable reference.

Hope that answers your question.
adam277
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lol I just read how many hours your actually doing..

YOUR DOING 9 HOURS ffs.
Read some threads on here about single mums raising kids while doing a degree and holding down a job.
I know you're young mate but you should really knuckle down and keep up with it. It will prepare you for life better.
yourGfin
Rep:
?
(Original post by adam277)
Let's say you take 4 weeks off on holiday then quit.
Yes you have to pay back any holiday that you haven't earned. Chances are though they wont chase you for it as it wont be worth their time. People do it all the time but it's a short term way to look at things.

Problem is though if you ever try to work for tesco or anything related to tesco you will likely be blacklisted. Also you will lose the chance of getting a valuable reference.

Hope that answers your question.
Answers it perfectly. Thank you.
yourGfin
Rep:
?
Lol I just read how many hours your actually doing..

YOUR DOING 9 HOURS ffs.
Read some threads on here about single mums raising kids while doing a degree and holding down a job.
I know you're young mate but you should really knuckle down and keep up with it. It will prepare you for life better.
Honestly g shut up. You have no idea what I have to do outside of working / school hours. Nor do you consider how times affect people differently. I came here for the answer to a question, not an insult. Yes, I understand managing time will help me in the long run but if that long run inevitably includes an outcome of A levels lower than what I need then those extra skills aren’t worth as much, are they?
adam277
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yourGfin)
Honestly g shut up. You have no idea what I have to do outside of working / school hours. Nor do you consider how times affect people differently. I came here for the answer to a question, not an insult. Yes, I understand managing time will help me in the long run but if that long run inevitably includes an outcome of A levels lower than what I need then those extra skills aren’t worth as much, are they?
Perfectly understandable!

It's obviously hard to balance Work, A-levels and Nights out.
That's why you want to get paid for shifts you haven't done at tesco so you can reduce it to just A-levels and nights out.
I'm not judging you btw; I'm sure many people you're age do the same, I'm just trying to help you look at it a different way.

Also if Tesco do decide to chase you for any over-payments in holiday don't blame me xD.
yourGfin
Rep:
?
Perfectly understandable!

It's obviously hard to balance Work, A-levels and Nights out.
That's why you want to get paid for shifts you haven't done at tesco so you can reduce it to just A-levels and nights out.
I'm not judging you btw; I'm sure many people you're age do the same, I'm just trying to help you look at it a different way.

Also if Tesco do decide to chase you for any over-payments in holiday don't blame me xD.
To make your argument slightly more relevant:

I didn’t solely use the money to find nights out. Nor do I go on nights out often. I go out (at max) once a month. It’s just that I don’t feel I’m getting adequate time to balance my outside life with my schooling/work obligations. I’m up at 7, finish at 10 twice a week, which while may not sound bad to you, makes it hard to stick to a revision / studying schedule. I am overburdened with homework and once that is complete, have to complete revision. By the time I factor in all of the work, it takes up all nights of the days of the week and then the weekends also.

I understand your aim but I believe you went about it very badly. I think it’s rather ignorant to just dismiss someone’s life difficulty using the number of hours they spend at tesco as a measure.

After learning what I did from my friend about pro-rata payments, I decided it wasn’t an option anyway. Just wanted to confirm that it applied to Tesco also and not just the job he’s working at. I’ll quit in January.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (589)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.5%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed