How do I nail my exam technique for Geography AQA GCSE? Watch

Reviser101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hey guys,
I'm in year 11 and I just did my first set of mocks in November. I'm utterly disappointed with my geography results. In year 9 and 10, I was consistently getting grade 5s and 6s... this time I got a 4, one mark off a grade 5. I was devastated when I got my result back. I really want to get a grade 7 and I know I can do it. I know I'm really good at learning and memorising the knowledge, but I can't nail the exam technique. Does anyone have any tips on how to nail the technique for 4 mark questions, 6 mark questions and 9 mark questions, please?
Thanks, xx
LoneWolf225
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey, I'm in year 11 too currently and I'm doing AQA Geo. Yeah, 9 markers are the questions you really have to nail to get at least a grade 6 or 7. 9 mark questions are usually on projects (for example crossrail) and methods to reduce a problem (coastal erosion, development gap, etc.). It's important that you start with a quick definition of a relevant term in the introduction. For example; (for a 9 marker on combating effects of deforestation) deforestation is the process of cutting down trees for industrial use. If you know statistics related to the 9 marker feel free to use them. It's important that you evaluate techniques of reducing a problem; is it economically sustainable, impacts on environment, time taken for project to finish, etc. It is essential that you mention a case study in your answer; for example: Lesotho for water management, Thar desert for desertification, London for issues in urban cities (could be Bristol, Manchester, etc. , but has to be in UK-There is a point in the urban paper where you will have 9 markers on the urban world, here you will not be asked to talk about UK cities.). I think that covers all for 9 markers.
6 mark questions usually ask for processes (e.g. tectonic plate movement and how it leads to volcanoes) and sometimes require conclusions, because other processes may contrast with each other in relation to the question. For example:"To what extent are natural processes causing climate change"; in this case, processes such as pollution by greenhouse gases contrast with volcanic eruptions (they emit ash which blocks the sun) in relation with the question.
Just an additional tip: never refer to a process, person or anything as 'they, him, her, it'; always refer to the specific title of that noun/pronoun. I think that's it for me, my fingers hurt. If you have any questions, just ask.
Take care.
ursbhhdb
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm in year 12 at the moment and achieved a level 9 in AQA GCSE Geography. If I'm completely honest with you I despised geography, particularly ecosystems etc. however I think it's important to ask your teachers for questions and ask them to mark them. I can help you a little more with exam technique a little later.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 24 Nov '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Cambridge & Chelmsford Undergraduate
    Sun, 24 Nov '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery, Operating Department Practice and Paramedic courses - Stafford campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 24 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (60)
18.4%
Unconditional if firmed (25)
7.67%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.61%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (11)
3.37%
No unconditional offers (228)
69.94%

Watched Threads