Turn on thread page Beta

Conditional distribution of X given Y calculation HELP , PLEASE watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there I have a question for my homework that I have been given. It involves calculating the conditional distribution of X given Y and then , with that answer, being able to establish what this distribution is (ie is it gamma, or exponential.. and then also the parameter). I think i have solved it using the alternative formula for bayes thereom which is f xgiveny = f ygivenx * f x which gets me xe^-2xy or maybe it is xe^-x^3 or even xe^-2x^2? I think it may be the second .......... but from this point, i am stuggling to establish what distribution this is ? It is multiple choice so I have the options of : M(X), Gamma (1, y+1), Gamma (2, y+1), M(X+1), M(Y+1) and M(y). Please if anybody knows this distribtuion please may you help me to understand how to work this out and / or which one it could be? Many thanks.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Hi y'all - I don't suppose anybody could please help? Thanks a bunch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex.kundert)
    Hi y'all - I don't suppose anybody could please help? Thanks a bunch
    Could you post an image of the full question, including the options. Your text is hard to read.
    You also say
    f(x|y) = f(y|x) * f(x)
    You forgot to divide the rhs by f(y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mqb2766)
    Could you post an image of the full question, including the options. Your text is hard to read.
    You also say
    f(x|y) = f(y|x) * f(x)
    You forgot to divide the rhs by f(y)
    Hi there,

Please find attached. Any help would be majorly appreciated , thank you !
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi there,

Please find attached. Any help would be majorly appreciated , thank you !
    Been a bit since I've done this, but since X \sim M(1) then f_X(x) = \displaystyle \int_{\mathbb{R}} f_{X,Y}(x,y) .dy = e^{-x}.

And since Y | X \sim M(x) then we have f_{X,Y}(y|x) = \dfrac{f_{X,Y}(x,y)}{f_X(x)} = xe^{-xy}

We can use this information to determine what f_{X,Y}(x,y) must be.

Indeed, we can then use this to determine what f_Y(y) must be by integrating marginally along x \in (0, \infty).

Hence we seek what f_{X,Y}(x|y) = \dfrac{f_{X,Y}(x,y)}{f_Y(y)} is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Been a bit since I've done this, but since X \sim M(1) then f_X(x) = \displaystyle \int_{\mathbb{R}} f_{X,Y}(x,y) .dy = e^{-x}.

And since Y | X \sim M(x) then we have f_{X,Y}(y|x) = \dfrac{f_{X,Y(x,y)}}{f_X(x)} = xe^{-xy}

Indeed, we can then use this to determine what f_Y(y) must be by integrating marginally along x \in (0, \infty).

Hi but I think ultimately as per the question what we want to achieve in the end is f(x given y) not f(y). I think I know that f(x,y) is xe^-3x but from there I am not sure where to go?

ReputationRep:

And since Y | X \sim M(x) then we have f_{X,Y}(y|x) = \dfrac{f_{X,Y}(x,y)}{f_X(x)} = xe^{-xy}

Ah , I see what you mean now after your edit... How do we go about solving f(y) do you know? I know you mention integrating, but what do we integrate?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ah , I see what you mean now after your edit... How do we go about solving f(y) do you know? I know you mention integrating, but what do we integrate?
    f_{X,Y}(x,y)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think I know that f(x,y) is xe^-3x but from there I am not sure where to go?
    Don't think I agree with this. Show your working out?

ReputationRep:
    Don't think I agree with this. Show your working out?
    Yes, I think it should actually be xe^-2xy after we have multipled them together. So I think that after integration this becomes e^-y(xe^x - e^x)

Any thoughts on where we go from there ? In order to establish the distribution?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think it should actually be xe^-2xy after we have multipled them together. So I think that after integration this becomes e^-y(xe^x - e^x)

Any thoughts on where we go from there ? In order to establish the distribution?
    Isn't it
    xe^(-x(y+1))
    for the joint?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes, I think it should actually be xe^-2xy after we have multipled them together.
    I still don't agree.

We have  \dfrac{f_{X,Y}(x,y)}{f_X(x)} = xe^{-xy} hence \dfrac{f_{X,Y}(x,y)}{e^{-x}} = xe^{-xy}

ReputationRep:
    Hi all resolved now. The answer is xe^(-x(y+1)) as suggested by mqb and this is a gamma (2, y+1) distribution which is equal to f( x given y) . Thanks all !!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi all resolved now. The answer is xe^(-x(y+1)) as suggested by mqb and this is a gamma (2, y+1) distribution which is equal to f( x given y) . Thanks all !!
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.
    Awesome, thanks for all your help again buddy

I'll make sure to leave the post up this time for people to hopefully benefit from!!! Always appreciate your help, honestly

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 7, 2018

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.