Turn on thread page Beta

How can I stop being such a horrible son watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Curious as some of my friends have said this but is it bad parenting that she doesn’t let me go to parties/gatherings/sleepovers. One of my friends is having a party/sleepover tomorrow not like a rager party but like McDonald’s after school, head over to his house, stay up most of the night with about 8 of us max all good friends and then fall asleep. She doesn’t want me going and made up excuses
    A) how are you gonna get there - we’re all getting the bus
    B) I don’t want you going to a unsupervised party - his dad and stepmom will be in the next room
    C) I don’t want you drinking - there’s no alcohol it’s not that type of party and none of us are big drinkers
    D) your not going - ?
    your mum sounds pretty controlling to he honest. yes, it probably is bad parenting. but i feel like if you did bring these sorts of things uo with her she'd shut down and you wouldn't be able to have a productive conversation with her. how about you try compromising? e. g, ask her if you can go to the party if you help out with the housework the week before and don't see my friends. you don't really sound like a horrible son to me.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Lazy sh*t, C*nt, b*st*rd, W**rdo are all in her vocabulary of words to describe me
    I remember my parent saying to me because an ambulance turn up take me to school. I was 13 years old and had very mild cerebral palsy, dyslexia and dyspraxia and forced to go to bad school miles away because no good school would take me. My parent ranted at my and told me how a shame of me and neighbours had see the ambulance.

At 18 I was told unemployable w***rdo and selfish I lift home and managed to get a flat when through university after doing and access course and got job. All things I told I could not do.

My parent now realized they treated my sister better but I was an odd child and very hard work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I AM GROOT 1)
    patry27
    u said u were perfect maybe u can help :lol:

Thank you for the tag mate

So I’ve come to realise I’m a horrible son to my mum. She’s a single mother and so doesn’t have anyone else helping her out with stuff like cleaning the house, cooking, Running errands and paying bills.
    And to make matters worse she has me. She tells me all the time I’m a lazy sh*t because I do nothing around the house which is true all I really do is the dinner on weeknights, cleaning up the dogs poo and feeding the dog which sounds like a ok amount until you realise the counters need to be cleaned every night, the floors have to be brushed in the morning and evening, there’s dishes and washing to do as well as on weekends the house needs to be hoovered and floors mopped as well as the windows/bins washed.
    I feel sorry for her. I’m only making matters worse because instead of coming home to help round the house I go and hang out with friends for a hour or two on Fridays.
    so is there any way I can be a better son.
    Oh idk maybe do all the things you don't do? If you had common sense you wouldn't have to make this post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patry27)
    Thank you for the tag mate

Oh idk maybe do all the things you don't do? If you had common sense you wouldn't have to make this post.
    np
    lol

(Original post by I AM GROOT 1)
    just understand she is human her shouting and call u things is probably the only way she is able to let out her anger as she has no one else to let it out on ignore her comments i think thats best
    try doing little bits suprise her and she will be happy
    i hope everything works out best of luck
    No. I was well looked after physically by my mum, but she was emotionally abusive and it has really affected me. Emotional abuse is just as bad as physical or sexual abuse. It can actually be more insidious, but it’s less obvious and the person can deny doing it or say they didn’t mean to do it etc.

The OP’s mum is a single parent either through bad luck or bad decisions. Quite often women choose the wrong men and then moan about how they are a single parent. Regardless, it is NOT the OP’s fault and they don’t deserve to be abused because of it.

There are thousands of other ways to vent frustration - hobbies, talking to friends, exercise etc. there’s no excuse for calling your child horrible names. Those words sting and stay with you for life.

ReputationRep:
    Get your own place... might make her appreciate you more. You don't bring someone into the world so they can wait on you.

(Original post by Vinny C)
    Get your own place... might make her appreciate you more. You don't bring someone into the world so they can wait on you.
    I can’t I’m 15 like young 15 so that’s impossible. And also I don’t have any money. There’s no way that’s a remote possibility

ReputationRep:
    So I’ve come to realise I’m a horrible son to my mum. She’s a single mother and so doesn’t have anyone else helping her out with stuff like cleaning the house, cooking, Running errands and paying bills.
    And to make matters worse she has me. She tells me all the time I’m a lazy sh*t because I do nothing around the house which is true all I really do is the dinner on weeknights, cleaning up the dogs poo and feeding the dog which sounds like a ok amount until you realise the counters need to be cleaned every night, the floors have to be brushed in the morning and evening, there’s dishes and washing to do as well as on weekends the house needs to be hoovered and floors mopped as well as the windows/bins washed.
    I feel sorry for her. I’m only making matters worse because instead of coming home to help round the house I go and hang out with friends for a hour or two on Fridays.
    Get up off your arse and help her would be a good start it ain’t rocket science

(Original post by Kaffee_1998)
    Get up off your arse and help her would be a good start it ain’t rocket science
    No matter what I do it’s never good enough that’s not working

ReputationRep:
    I can’t I’m 15 like young 15 so that’s impossible. And also I don’t have any money. There’s no way that’s a remote possibility
    From what you have explained, you are not a horrible son and it's unfair of your mum to resort to emotional blackmail of a 15yr old. You are not yet sufficiently experienced or independent to defend yourself and your mum is going the right way to lose you for good if she's not careful.

ReputationRep:
    This strangly resonates in me. My mum is exactly like this... like exactly?...

By "the floors need to brushed" do you mean they're swept twice a day because that seems a bit excessive?

well i can relate
    indian parents are the same in MY case
    except we get beaten too
    i feel like there's barely anything wrong in your situation
    we have to do chores without a second thought or there'll be consequences
    you just need to keep a smile on you're face so she is happy too
    and do little everyday things
    like washing your plate after dinner or cleaning the table or idk
    anything

By "the floors need to brushed" do you mean they're swept twice a day because that seems a bit excessive?
    Twice a day is a guarantee and then 9/10 times it’s 3-4 times a day

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2018
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.