Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i thought i really wanted an ensuite but i’m not sure? i mean is it actually worth the extra money?
    I’ve heard sharing isn’t that bad and i’ve shared a bathroom my whole life so how difficult could it really be?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Absolutely worth it - especially when you (or your flatmates) are hungover/sick.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Depends if you know the people you're living with and/or how many are sharing a given bathroom. If it's more than 2 or 3 to a bathroom it might be difficult, and/or if you know them to be...less hygienic than average then it might be nice.

Unfortunately for first year moving into halls, it's always a crapshoot so...may be nice to err on the side of caution. I was lucky and didn't have any major issues in my flat, but a friend of mine had just the worst flatmates for that (you can't even imagine how disgusting). I think from second year onwards, when you're usually moving in with people you know and can have an adult discussion about hygiene and cleaning of shared spaces, it's usually not such an issue (hopefully).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For me the ensuite option was actually the 2md cheapest because it was 40 minutes away from the uni. I loved having my own bathroom. It made settling in easier because I didn't have to worry about sharing one with total strangers.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by kittycollecter)
    i thought i really wanted an ensuite but i’m not sure? i mean is it actually worth the extra money?
    I’ve heard sharing isn’t that bad and i’ve shared a bathroom my whole life so how difficult could it really be?
    no
    sharing is not that bad at all
    you'll have to share for most of your life anyway and most likely have been already
    and it is cheaper
    your loan will thank yourself later :yy:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For me it wasn't worth it. It would have meant paying an extra £1000 over the course of the year.

In my halls, there were 25 or so people on my floor, and 6 showers and 12 loos shared between us. I can honestly say that I never had to wait for either a shower or a loo - everybody is on such different schedules that there was no issue. (The only exception was Wednesday mornings at 10am, as that's when they tested the fire alarm, so woke up all the hungover people who then wanted showers...)

Also, in my halls, shared bathrooms were cleaned every day whereas ensuites you had to clean yourself.

ReputationRep:
    bruh get an en suite unless you wanna deal with bleaching other people's crap and trying to remove other peoples hair from the bathtub
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey!
    I had my own ensuite first year and i think that was worth it as i dint know who i was going to live with and its hard enough getting used to living with other people without that. Second and third year I shared as i knew everyone and that was fine! It depend how fussy you are i suppose! I hope this helps
    Sophia

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't say it was worth it if you don't care for a lil bit of mess.
    I share mine w one girl and its alright. the only real issue i have is hair blocking the drain is f* gross. But has worked out more fine than i thought : P

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely.

Seeing another person's pubes inside of a shower, even if you quite like them, is not how you want to start a day.

ReputationRep:
    i experienced both. in terms of money is it worth it then no its not

ReputationRep:
    I was so relieved to have paid for an ensuite when I saw the state my flatmates kept the kitchen in. Not everyone will have flatmates with such low stadards of cleanliness... but is it worth the risk...?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the cost. If it's not much then it's worth having privacy but otherwise don't stress about It, it's not as big a problem as some think.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    With ensuites you get that little extra privacy that may come in handy at times. It also means that you can just roll out of bed into your bathroom without waiting for anyone to finish
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Personally I'd say ensuites are absolutely worth it in halls, but not in any other shared accommodation where you have control over who you share with. My flatmates in halls weren't the cleanest of people judging by how they left the kitchen. They also constantly had friends over and were drinking. In my 4 person flat, a shared bathroom would have actually been used by dozens of people, most of whom would be drunk or hungover. The absolute lack of control over who I was staying with meant it was not worth taking the risk. And I'm glad I didn't, as I can see that the extra £10-20 a week on an ensuite easily paid for itself almost instantly.

Sharing a bathroom isn't that bad. But sharing a bathroom at home with family, or with close friends is not the same as sharing with total strangers. If you get lucky and your flatmates were brought up to be decent human beings, then great. If you're unlucky, then sharing a bathroom gets old as soon as freshers starts. Does £20 a week justify not sharing with another human? Probably not. Does £20 a week justify reducing the risk of clearing up other people's vomit, poop, piss, pubes, etc. to 0? Yes. That's not even factoring in the chance that 2 people need the bathroom at the same time. Desperate to go to the toilet but your flatmate takes 30 minutes in the shower? Tough sh*t (quite literally)
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    If you're looking for ensuite accommodation then you can check out our ensuite rooms in 19 cities across the UK https://www.studentroost.co.uk/

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.