Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey from across the pond!

I'm applying to Faculty of Law at Hughes Hall, Cambridge for 2019 entry. At first, I was surprised to learn that unlike other UK schools, Cambridge and Oxford have October deadlines. However, I am a mature student and fortunately, Hughes Hall has a second-round deadline in March.

I'm writing to ask about the Cambridge Law Test. I understand that Cambridge does not use the LNAT and was wondering if anyone knows why they chose to drop it. Furthermore, the university website states:

If you will be over 21 when you start at university, and are applying to one of Cambridge’s mature colleges, contact the college you have applied to for further information on their procedures.

Is anyone familiar with how the mature colleges approach the admissions test?

ReputationRep:
    I believe the LNAT was becoming too easy, so they designed their own test. Doesn't really make a difference to you -- you're not gonna have to do the LNAT for your Cambridge app.

ReputationRep:
    There are a billion problems with the LNAT. Cambridge could have chosen its own test over the LNAT for any number of them. It doesn't make a difference to your application.

Just get in touch with the college and find out. Make sure that you've gone through every single word on its website beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C02400ppm)
    They just state that applicants need to take the Cambridge Law Test either before or after the interview, and after researching their website further it does seem that Hughes Hall requires the same exam as the other standard-age colleges. The test is just a one-hour long essay response to an open-ended legal question. I guess the only way to really prepare for it is to stay up on current events and study questions from past examinations.

I'm not sure how much weight it carries, but in the U.S. the LSAT is a much longer and very rigorous examination. Preparing for it properly takes at least 3-6 months. How well you do on it also plays an integral role in being offered admission.
    It's not the LSAT - it's an essay. You don't need to put in the same amount of effort.

Great, so the website has all the info you need. The admissions process is pretty much the same as everywhere else (interview + test on the same day)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C02400ppm)
    Yes, but from browsing other threads I read that some applicants were not required to take any written test (they were simply asked questions related to their chosen field of study during the actual interview). Either way, it looks like I'll have to travel for the interview because I'm applying past the October deadline. I'm used to American timelines and no school here ends their application process before January for 2019 entry.
    You not being asked to take the test is hardly a bad thing. You won't be unprepared for any part of the assessment. And the sunk time you'll have invested will be minimal.

The field of study questions have nothing to do with the CLT. That's not what the CLT examines you on. They're just part of the interview.

Again, if you want to find out more, email them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 7, 2018

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.