xjk1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is it customary to send either hand written or digital notes to thank the tutors for spending their time interviewing you and for having a good conversation?

If it is not customary, would it be frowned upon?

Is it relatively common or not?

Thanks.
Hugh's Swan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No its not common. Probably might be seen as trying to get unfair advantage. Were you thinking of sticking in a tenner as well?
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nope.
xjk1
Rep:
?
Haha, no I just thought it's a bit impolite to not say thank you. It's customary for job interviews, post-grad admissions, even US university alumni interviews, so I thought it may be the same with Oxford/ Cambridge.

And regarding your point on it giving an "unfair advantage", shouldn't it give an 'advantage' (minimal, if any)? Aren't politeness and initiative traits that Oxford and its tutors look for in students? The same thing happens for jobs and internships, so why is Oxford different?

Thanks though.
Last edited by xjk1; 1 year ago
xjk1
Rep:
?
Thanks, LeapingLucy too.
Kiki09
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People often say thank you for their time in person at the end of the interview but notes after the event are not common. Also can't say that I have ever sent a thank you note after post grad admissions or job interviews! (I have said thank you for their time at the end though).
Hugh's Swan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hmmm - actually that said I have actually sent thank you for the interview letters after job interviews, more to try and cement me in the recruiters mind. But don’t think it is common in this case.
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We receive some every year thanking the student hosts, the interviewers and sometimes even us (!). It makes absolutely no difference to the outcome but if candidates felt they had a good experience and want to write, they are more than welcome to. The one thing that can’t be accepted is gifts (!) and these are either returned or donated to charity.

Brasenose Admissions
xjk1
Rep:
?
Thank you for the insights Kiki09 BrasenoseAdm!

I never waned to do it to try get an advantage of any sorts, and personally don’t think it should give an advantage (my comment above was purely just to how/why people viewed Ox interviews as being different to other types).

Wouldn’t think about sending gifts, that would definitely send the wrong signals! Would be nice to thank all the student helpers and admissions team too, although I reckon doing so would only be possible via the admissions officer.

Thanks again.
Estreth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's not common. In the UK it's not customary for any of the other things you mentioned either. In any case, the interviewers aren't doing you a favour by interviewing you; they're discharging their responsibility to admit the best possible candidates for places at the university. In my opinion it's not appropriate for you to thank them in that way - it perpetuates a damaging stereotype of an intellectual elite deigning to bestow their favour on the lowly masses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (74)
14.86%
1 (68)
13.65%
2 (65)
13.05%
20.68%
20.08%
5 (88)
17.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise