The Student Room Group

Do I need to take this seriously, go to the gp?

I was handling my cousins pet rat and basically it started to urinate and it sprayed into my eyes. I didn't think to wash my eyes out with water at the time but I dabbed them with tissue paper.

Im worried about infection etc but what can I do?
Post edited automatically
Have you rinsed your eyes since the incident? Maybe search to see if this has happened to other people (you're probably not the only one) and see what they did. I think if you have rinsed your eyes and if they are not irritated, there wouldn't be such a need to.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I was handling my cousins pet rat and basically it started to urinate and it sprayed into my eyes. I didn't think to wash my eyes out with water at the time but I dabbed them with tissue paper.

Im worried about infection etc but what can I do?

Do your eyes hurt or itch at all? Is your vision affected? If not then you should be fine to not do anything. I would wash your eyes out now just cos eww and if you do get nay issues like irritation or affected vision I would book GP or go to a walk in.
You could also consult a pharmacy.
Reply 5
Depends was it an Essex rat? if so probably better to play it safe.
if it hurts, goes red, itches or like anything out of the usual go to doc. if it's fine for the next few days then it seems to be just that, fine.
Reply 7
Original post by Kindred
Do your eyes hurt or itch at all? Is your vision affected? If not then you should be fine to not do anything. I would wash your eyes out now just cos eww and if you do get nay issues like irritation or affected vision I would book GP or go to a walk in.
You could also consult a pharmacy.

Thanks, it might be a bit over the top but I just worried about getting an infection/going blind or something. Ive rinsed my eyes in the shower about an hour ago but that was a few hours after it happened.
Reply 8
Thanks, it might be a bit over the top but I just worried about getting an infection/going blind or something. Ive rinsed my eyes in the shower about an hour ago but that was a few hours after it happened.

Pet rat pee doesn't contain much in the way of nasty germs and your eyes are behaving fine now so I wouldn't worry. I can see why you'd be freaking out a bit though.i would be less than calm if I had pee in my eye.
urine is sterile right. bear grills drank his. so I think you will be fine
Original post by Kindred
Pet rat pee doesn't contain much in the way of nasty germs and your eyes are behaving fine now so I wouldn't worry. I can see why you'd be freaking out a bit though.i would be less than calm if I had pee in my eye.

It gets more grusome, another reason I was worried is apparantly the rat has had recent bleeding from its down below too (i.e possible infection). Yea, its not great to talk about, all i can do is wait and see ha.
It gets more grusome, another reason I was worried is apparantly the rat has had recent bleeding from its down below too (i.e possible infection). Yea, its not great to talk about, all i can do is wait and see ha.

Oh yeah really not comforting to know. Maybe pop into a pharmacy tomorrow to see if there's anything they can suggest but our eyes are actually pretty good at keeping themselves going (think about all the dust, pool water and bugs that get in them) so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If anything does start feeling funny it should be a simple matter of some eye drops or something to get them back to normal. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest