The Student Room Group

Gaining admission after appeal

Has any of you guys been rejected by a certain university and then appeal the decision and be admitted successfully? If you write a very pasionate and motivated appeal and be perseverant, what are the chances of changing the uni's decision?
Original post by ge36dal
Has any of you guys been rejected by a certain university and then appeal the decision and be admitted successfully? If you write a very pasionate and motivated appeal and be perseverant, what are the chances of changing the uni's decision?

It’s very unlikely. The only cases that have been successful that I know of are where the university was either missing information about qualifications or had made a mistake (ie had not noticed qualifications that were relevant).

Have you requested full feedback in writing on the reasons for your rejection?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
It’s very unlikely. The only cases that have been successful that I know of are where the university was either missing information about qualifications or had made a mistake (ie had not noticed qualifications that were relevant).

Have you requested full feedback in writing on the reasons for your rejection?

Well, I have been rejected because one of my grades is slightly lower than the typical offer. However, I have heard that sometimes universities are willing to make an exception if you show that you are really motivated and well- qualified. Is this true?
how do you even appeal to a uni anyway? do you have to email them or is it a whole process?
Reply 4
Original post by drenkmenk
how do you even appeal to a uni anyway? do you have to email them or is it a whole process?

In my case I will first directly email the person that rejected me. If they reject me again, then I am planning to email the appeal office. I really hope that in the end it will somehow work :biggrin:
Original post by ge36dal
In my case I will first directly email the person that rejected me. If they reject me again, then I am planning to email the appeal office. I really hope that in the end it will somehow work :biggrin:

I did not even know this existed! good luck!
Original post by ge36dal
Well, I have been rejected because one of my grades is slightly lower than the typical offer. However, I have heard that sometimes universities are willing to make an exception if you show that you are really motivated and well- qualified. Is this true?

That's only likely to happen if the course doesn't receive many applications in a particular year.

If on the other hand, they get a lot more applications than there are offers, why would they give you an offer over someone who actually got the grades?

Which course and which university is it?
Reply 7
Original post by LeapingLucy
That's only likely to happen if the course doesn't receive many applications in a particular year.

If on the other hand, they get a lot more applications than there are offers, why would they give you an offer over someone who actually got the grades?

Which course and which university is it?

It's computing science at uni glasgow. I know that they have many applicants for this specific course, but I still believe it's possible.
Reply 8
So has anyone ever done this successfully or knows someone who has?
Original post by ge36dal

The problem is that while you might be motivated you aren't well qualified - in Glasgow's eyes you are under qualified.
Reply 10
Original post by ageshallnot
The problem is that while you might be motivated you aren't well qualified - in Glasgow's eyes you are under qualified.

I understand your point, but the grade I am slightly missing is in a subject that has nothing to do with computing science. It is completely irrelevant and and it's not indicative of my qualification and skills for the chosen course of study.
Original post by ge36dal
I understand your point, but the grade I am slightly missing is in a subject that has nothing to do with computing science. It is completely irrelevant and and it's not indicative of my qualification and skills for the chosen course of study.

What do you have and what do they want?
Reply 12
My question was simply if you know someone who has managed to successfully change the admission team's decision.
Reply 13
Original post by ageshallnot
What do you have and what do they want?

I have a 5.70 in Bulgarian language(I am from Bulgaria) and the minimum entry requirement is 5.80.
Original post by ge36dal
... the grade I am slightly missing is in a subject that has nothing to do with computing science. It is completely irrelevant and...

But you don’t decide that, they do. Unless they were missing information when they made their initial decision, (or if they got something spectacularly wrong), then it will likely stand. There is typically no process for appealing a decision based on the material information on an application.

I appreciate this may sound harsh, but you should set your expectations accordingly.

Or put it another way, if they admitted you after your impassioned appeal, then in the interests of fairness they would have to revisit every single rejected Bulgarian applicant this academic cycle.
Original post by ge36dal
I have a 5.70 in Bulgarian language(I am from Bulgaria) and the minimum entry requirement is 5.80.

Ok. It's worth a shot.

Good luck - I've spent quite a bit of time in Bulgaria. over the years!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending