33.33%
Physics (1)
33.33%
username4153272
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to do Physics at A Level to have a maths subject so is there any point in taking core maths and if I do take core maths should I take biology instead at A Level
username4153272
Rep:
?
Sorry somehow managed to spell physics wrong 😂
Guarddyyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Having maths is useful but not essential when taking physics since most of the calculations are straightforward. You should take the subject(s) which most interest you.
Xenon009
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by secret.user)
I want to do Physics at A Level to have a maths subject so is there any point in taking core maths and if I do take core maths should I take biology instead at A Level
If you are going to do physics, then you really should do maths, you basically get 2 a levels for doing 1 and a half a levels of work thanks to the huge overlap. However if you have no intrest in going into maths or physics, dont bother with either of them.

Do what you enjoy at a level, because your stuck with whatever you pick now for the rest of your life (more or less.)
2childmum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you want to go on and study physics at uni core maths wont' be enough - you need the full maths A level. Core maths is AS standard but studied over 2 years - it won't count as a full A level for applying to uni. So you would need to do 3 A levels + core maths, not 2 A levels + core maths. (You could possibly get onto a foundation year with 2 + core maths - you need to check uni websites)

Without saying what you want to go on and do, and your other subject(s) it's hard to make suggestions
grilledpeach
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Which core maths are you considering is it level 3 ?
username4153272
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2childmum)
If you want to go on and study physics at uni core maths wont' be enough - you need the full maths A level. Core maths is AS standard but studied over 2 years - it won't count as a full A level for applying to uni. So you would need to do 3 A levels + core maths, not 2 A levels + core maths. (You could possibly get onto a foundation year with 2 + core maths - you need to check uni websites)

Without saying what you want to go on and do, and your other subject(s) it's hard to make suggestions
Thank you for the advice
I also want to take geography and history for a level
username4153272
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sofiaaaaa1)
Which core maths are you considering is it level 3 ?
Yeah it’s level 3
grilledpeach
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by secret.user)
Yeah it’s level 3
Its only for a year so depending on what u want to do in the future its a good idea i found core maths pretty easy its mainly statistics and basic math theres no algebra and hardly any difficult graph work so it wont really help you with physics
username4153272
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sofiaaaaa1)
Its only for a year so depending on what u want to do in the future its a good idea i found core maths pretty easy its mainly statistics and basic math theres no algebra and hardly any difficult graph work so it wont really help you with physics
Thank you so much for the advice, I think I’ll do it now if it’s not too bad.
XHannahR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey you’ve probably already chosen and all but I’m starting college next week and I will be studying Biology, Chemistry and Physics. My college strongly advised me to do core maths additionally and today I said I would because it is 40% of an A-Level and there’s no harm in doing it..plus it’s extra ucas points..all the best!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (60)
40.82%
Take autumn exams (53)
36.05%
Look for a job (3)
2.04%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.72%
Take a year out (19)
12.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (8)
5.44%

Watched Threads