The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
maybe. But there are plenty of graduates with so-called strong quantitative degrees that have no idea

The training you need to tweak network architecture to fit the subtleties of applied ML problems isn't that commonly available unless you pick the very ML-orientated courses as part of your quantitative degree or take a masters in ML.
Some people pursuing STEM subjects aren't interested in inserting their heads into the CEO of Google/Facebook/etc's arses to the end of of rampantly abusing people's personal data for the corporate bottom line...no accounting for ethics I suppose.

Also lets also stop using the euphemistic "machine learning" to obscure your specific aim, which is pretty clear from your phrasing - it's data mining. As tawdry an occupation as it sounds...
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Some people pursuing STEM subjects aren't interested in inserting their heads into the CEO of Google/Facebook/etc's arses to the end of of rampantly abusing people's personal data for the corporate bottom line...no accounting for ethics I suppose.

Also lets also stop using the euphemistic "machine learning" to obscure your specific aim, which is pretty clear from your phrasing - it's data mining. As tawdry an occupation as it sounds...

No absolutely not. You have a limited appreciation of what machine learning can accomplish.

Have a read: https://www.nature.com/articles/nature21056
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ayygeee
No absolutely not. You have a limited appreciate of what machine learning can accomplish.

Have a read: https://www.nature.com/articles/nature21056

That is incredibly cool.
Reply 5
Are you saying that if you understand regression ... you have the skills to convert a published architecture to something that better fits your particular problem eg. taking a 2D conv net into a 3D architecture, changing the regularisation, combining a conv net with a RNN to apply to short video clips... all kinds of thing.

I agree with you ... to some extent ... regarding the MSc. The problem is that for a lot of bad universities, this doesn't hold true. The only way these people can get some credibility is to do something like the 1 year UCL MSc.
xD this is entertaining
Original post by Ayygeee
Are you saying that if you understand regression ... you have the skills to convert a published architecture to something that better fits your particular problem eg. taking a 2D conv net into a 3D architecture, changing the regularisation, combining a conv net with a RNN to apply to short video clips... all kinds of thing.

I agree with you ... to some extent ... regarding the MSc. The problem is that for a lot of bad universities, this doesn't hold true. The only way these people can get some credibility is to do something like the 1 year UCL MSc.

Pray tell, how much is UCL paying you to advertise their course...?
Reply 8
Pray tell, how much is UCL paying you to advertise their course...?

Its just an example of a good course. I think there are plenty of good ones.
Reply 9
:awesome: Genius is back.

It's been a while.
bump
Reply 11
Yeah but for quite narrow use cases and within the Apple ecosystem. For the majority of companies looking to be innovative, you need way more expertise than you seem to think.

I would say what you're talking about is someone who drives a car, I am talking about someone who designs a car.
(edited 5 years ago)
brah
this is now a meme page:

Reply 17

lol i loved how excited you are by this

Tell me what you do, im hiring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5VN56jQMWM&t=43s

"Data mining" indeed.

Latest