Uni said one thing and then REJECTED me and said another.... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I basically applied for a foundation year for science, bc I had a bit of rough time (don't wanna state what went on but it was on my reference) during A-levels I did crap in chem and bio. before applying I specifically asked the uni if they allow people who have done sciences onto the course, they said yes.

They then rejected me and used the fact that I had done the sciences as the reason.

should I email them and show them what they told me? (the same lady who explained why I was rejected told me they are allowed) As I specifically applied to this course because of them saying this... idk maybe I'm overreacting bc I'm sad I didn't get in.
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What subject are you applying for? And which university?
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Might be worth asking them? No harm in doing so
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Might be worth asking them? No harm in doing so
true, I was scared they would think I'm being petty or something bc I've been rejected...
nutz99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I basically applied for a foundation year for science, bc I had a bit of rough time (don't wanna state what went on but it was on my reference) during A-levels I did crap in chem and bio. before applying I specifically asked the uni if they allow people who have done sciences onto the course, they said yes.

They then rejected me and used the fact that I had done the sciences as the reason.

should I email them and show them what they told me? (the same lady who explained why I was rejected told me they are allowed) As I specifically applied to this course because of them saying this... idk maybe I'm overreacting bc I'm sad I didn't get in.
Some foundation years state that you cannot apply if you have the required grades in the relevant science subjects but some state that you cannot apply if you have just taken the relevant sciences - the relevant sciences being those required for direct entry to BSc.

Give us a link to the course you have applied for.
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
true, I was scared they would think I'm being petty or something bc I've been rejected...
It's just a question though.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Did she say this verbally or write it, eg in an email?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
drenkmenk
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Did she say this verbally or write it, eg in an email?
she wrote it in email, in addition to saying they do consider she said that they would send out a supporting statement for me to tell them why i would benefit from the foundation course due have done the science alevels... which i did not receive
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by drenkmenk)
she wrote it in email, in addition to saying they do consider she said that they would send out a supporting statement for me to tell them why i would benefit from the foundation course due have done the science alevels... which i did not receive
If you have it in writing/via email then you can certainly demonstrate you were advised it was a possibility. However from your comments it sounds as though they only consider applicants for this and they still may reject candidates who have taken science subjects depending on the situation.. If you were due to submit a statement to presumably explain your extenuating circumstances and they did not receive this though, then they may still reconsider once they have all the information. However they may only consider it in specific sets of extenuating circumstances (e.g. those which are covered by the Equality Act (2010)) so depending on what your circumstances were, they may have never been in a position to consider you

I would suggest you contact them, explain you never had the opportunity to send the supporting statement, and go from there. They may give you the opportunity to submit this, and then reconsider you. If not, or if they do and reject you, you can always request more specific feedback - an outline of what circumstances they would consider a student who had taken the subjects to apply for example - although how forthcoming they will be is unknowable.
drenkmenk
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
If you have it in writing/via email then you can certainly demonstrate you were advised it was a possibility. However from your comments it sounds as though they only consider applicants for this and they still may reject candidates who have taken science subjects depending on the situation.. If you were due to submit a statement to presumably explain your extenuating circumstances and they did not receive this though, then they may still reconsider once they have all the information. However they may only consider it in specific sets of extenuating circumstances (e.g. those which are covered by the Equality Act (2010)) so depending on what your circumstances were, they may have never been in a position to consider you

I would suggest you contact them, explain you never had the opportunity to send the supporting statement, and go from there. They may give you the opportunity to submit this, and then reconsider you. If not, or if they do and reject you, you can always request more specific feedback - an outline of what circumstances they would consider a student who had taken the subjects to apply for example - although how forthcoming they will be is unknowable.
That makes sense... disappointing but makes sense ... in the email she did say they cannot reconsider the application so do you think there is any point?
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by drenkmenk)
That makes sense... disappointing but makes sense ... in the email she did say they cannot reconsider the application so do you think there is any point?
Well you can always try chasing them, given you weren't able to provide all the information this might change their position. I wouldn't recommend expecting anything to come of it, but by all means throw the line out and see if you get any bites
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
This ^
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads