The Student Room Group

Oxford and Cambridge should admit students who have not done A-levels, Education Sec

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/12/06/oxford-cambridge-should-admit-students-have-not-done-a-levels/

The country’s two leading universities should consider school leavers who have taken T-levels in the relevant subjects, Damian Hinds added. The new technical qualifications, which will be introduced in 2020, include disciplines such as education and engineering which can be studied at Oxford and Cambridge. Mr Hinds said Russell Group universities that make a “blanket rejection” of students with T-levels are making an “error” and will be “missing out” on talent.

What do you think?
Original post by Spirithorse
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/12/06/oxford-cambridge-should-admit-students-have-not-done-a-levels/

The country’s two leading universities should consider school leavers who have taken T-levels in the relevant subjects, Damian Hinds added. The new technical qualifications, which will be introduced in 2020, include disciplines such as education and engineering which can be studied at Oxford and Cambridge. Mr Hinds said Russell Group universities that make a “blanket rejection” of students with T-levels are making an “error” and will be “missing out” on talent.

What do you think?

I thought the point of T-levels were that they were a direct route into the trades? If they're just another way to potentially get into university then I don't see how they're any different from BTECs.
If they miss out on talent that’s their problem. They should be able to decide their own requirements.
Reply 3
Have Oxbridge said they won't accept T-Levels? Nowhere in that article is that stated, so this is a non-story. I'd expect all universities to see what the new qualifications involve before deciding whether and how to include them in offers.
Original post by ThomH97
Have Oxbridge said they won't accept T-Levels? Nowhere in that article is that stated, so this is a non-story. I'd expect all universities to see what the new qualifications involve before deciding whether and how to include them in offers.

I agree. They shouldn't be forced to accept them just because they're the government's latest vanity project.
Not heard of a T-Level up until now - But surely students who know they want to go to Oxbridge do A-Levels, why would this be necessary?

I get adding more than one route to something, but if people believe they have certain talent in an area, prove it and take the A-Level. For applicants who aren’t post further education anyway.
problem with letting ppl in with more relaxed requirements it broadens the ability range and the natural response is to make it easier (instead of failing more ppl and missing out their fees) which devalues the degree. i got into my uni nowhere near what they wanted yet still got a first. something fishy going on there
If unis accept ' T-levels' then they are just BTECS and need not exist
Government needs to butt out of education

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending