The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your parents don't need to give you permission, you're 16. However it sounds like an illogical ideal as you're not gonna get much help from the social if you are choosing to leave on your own accord, as technically you have somewhere to live, you're just choosing not to live there.

How bad are these family problems to warrant moving out? Stick it out for another two years, do your A levels and head to Uni! :biggrin:
explosiive
Your parents don't need to give you permission, you're 16.

Actually they do. Below 16 years old your are not allowed to live on your own, at 18 and above you can do it regardless of what your parents say, but between those ages, you need your parents permission if you want to move out.
My relationship with my father is not very good so I left home at 15. We got to a stage where either he murdered me or I poisoned him. I found a school and I am doing my A-level, hopefully will get the garde and go to uni this September. I am living in a flat on my own. My parents support me financially.
It could be a good thing because it makes you more unique when applying to universities.

But bear in mind that it could also be tough, because some schools are not understanding (like mine!). I was bullied by teachers because they think nobody would care(i.e. take me into a room and shout at me on a daily basis; telling me off for something that I didn't do; threatening me that I can't go to uni; checking my address and teased me for 'renting' it rather than 'buying'; ...).
I suggest you to get in touch with a social worker first, they might be able to help.
Reply 4
*titanium*
Actually they do. Below 16 years old your are not allowed to live on your own, at 18 and above you can do it regardless of what your parents say, but between those ages, you need your parents permission if you want to move out.

Can't be bothered to argue, but you can definitely move out at 16 without your parents consent.

"In most circumstances, anyone over the age of 16 can leave home without the consent of her/his parents or anyone with parental responsibility. A parent or person with parental responsibility could take wardship proceedings in court but it is unlikely that any court would order someone over 16 to return home if s/he did not want to."
Reply 5
aaw are things at home really that bad to move out? what about just staying with family for a while to let things settle down, and if this doesnt work then think about it more and make sure its what you really want. good luck
*titanium*

no you don't. once you're 16 you leave school, buy a house (but not get a mortgage) or apply for a social house.
Reply 7
see a social worker ... i would wait till you 18 but it depends on the position your in at home ... i had a very close mate that had family problems .. so she moved out went into care but still went school till he was 18 (didnt go with a family just stayed at the place) when she was 18 they sent her to uni she has a job is happy... It was very hards work and an emotional rollercoaster but it all depends on how your home life is like and how long you can deal with it.
Reply 8
It's really hard to move out of home at 16, imo.

I was having a really really hard time at home, and wanted to move out so much. But after speaking to loads of professionals, i got the answer that i could go to a hostel for a while, and then i would have to get my own place. How your meant to pay rent at 16, while at college (even with a full-time job) is beyond me.. (btw i do know its possible.. just hard).

Now, despite how much i hate living at home, im sticking it out until uni. It may seem hard now, but living on your own will probably be even worse (the worries that go with it, the lack of emotional support and the general hassel of not living at home).

I know you probably dont want to hear that, but i know how you feel (unless you have much worse cicumstances than me, then fine) but i also know how difficult it could be for you either way you go. :hugs:
i used to hate living at home too but had nowhere else to go and there's no way my parents would have supported me. in their opinion if i left home, i wasn't coming back (eventhough i did leave and had my parents crying for me to come back)
AAAAANYWAY, thats not the point, basically what im trying to say is that it's extremely difficult living on your own. Think of everything you'd have to do; wash, cook, clean, work, school work!
Just stick it out at home, at uni ull have your own space, and you could move hundreds of miles away from home if u wanted! & you never have to go back after.. its only two years. Until then, get a lock on ur door and avoid your family orr make an efort to get on with them.
Anonymous

AAAAANYWAY, thats not the point, basically what im trying to say is that it's extremely difficult living on your own. Think of everything you'd have to do; wash, cook, clean, work, school work!
Just stick it out at home, at uni ull have your own space, and you could move hundreds of miles away from home if u wanted! & you never have to go back after.. its only two years. Until then, get a lock on ur door and avoid your family orr make an efort to get on with them.

It depends on his situation. If he is experiencing domestic violence, leaving home is probably better than living at home.

No doubt living alone is challenging. You need a strong personality and sufficient financial support from parents (>£1000 a month). On the first week I could not cook, spent £200 on take-away and dining out.
Reply 11
Anonymous

But bear in mind that it could also be tough, because some schools are not understanding (like mine!). I was bullied by teachers because they think nobody would care(i.e. take me into a room and shout at me on a daily basis; telling me off for something that I didn't do; threatening me that I can't go to uni; checking my address and teased me for 'renting' it rather than 'buying'; ...).
I suggest you to get in touch with a social worker first, they might be able to help.

:rolleyes: Yes. Ok.

That doesn't sound like a bunch of lies at all. :rolleyes:
Are you sure about this? Listen, I remember the teenage years and the screaming contests with my parents, and constant discomfort about living with them. I seriously would have moved out, but this was the states where that never happened. However, having grown up and progressed a bit, I realize that all that was largely stupid teenage hormones and my parents trying to raise an adolescent male who thought we was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Just try to calm down, look at it from a neutral perspective, and talk things over with your parents. You would be surprised what a bit of level headed thinking can do. Plus I really wouldn't move out at this age. Once you leave home you realize how little you appreciated it, and its best to enjoy this period before adulthood as a kid, not as an adult who has to cook, clean, pay bills and work.
Reply 13
Hi, I am sixteen years old and am currently living in Brazil with my mother and two brothers. I have been going to a normal public Brazilian school here and have found that I am having a hard time adapting. (I used to live in the US for a large part of my life). I am debating weather I should move back to the states to live in a different city with my aunt or to stay with my family. Please any advice would help a lot! I am very close to my mother and tend to worry a lot about my wellbeing if I do go through with moving back. I would really appreciate any advice whatsoever. Thank you.
Reply 14
hannah are u still there lol?
i want to move out of home, i tried to 2months ago but my parents sent me to tasmania so i would forget all my friends and not want to move out. but this has made me hate my parents so much mmore.
im scared if i try again something bad will happen. i cant live at home they abuse me and i feel worthless :frown:
i want to be happy thats all.
Reply 16
Original post by *titanium*

Actually between the ages of 16 and 18 you can move out its just not recommended if you leave without permission your parents can have you ordered back but only if you are in danger :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
My relationship with my father is not very good so I left home at 15. We got to a stage 1. where either he murdered me or I poisoned him I found a school and I am doing my A-level, hopefully will get the garde and go to uni this September. I am living in a flat on my own. 2. My parents support me financially. It could be a good thing because it makes you more unique when applying to universities.

But bear in mind that it could also be tough, because some schools are not understanding (like mine!). I was bullied by teachers because they think nobody would care(i.e. take me into a room and shout at me on a daily basis; 3. telling me off for something that I didn't do; threatening me that I can't go to uni; 4. checking my address and teased me for 'renting' it rather than 'buying'; ...). I suggest you to get in touch with a social worker first, they might be able to help.

1. So you're dead? And you poisoned him? You sound just as bad as each other.
2. Your parents can't be that bad then.
3. if you were doing things like poisoning your dad, then I dread to think what you were probably up to in school.
4. Somehow I don't believe this. If you are/were under 18 then you can't take out a mortgage to buy a house anyway, and most people, let alone, teachers would know that.

Original post by explosiive
Can't be bothered to argue, but you can definitely move out at 16 without your parents consent.

"In most circumstances, anyone over the age of 16 can leave home without the consent of her/his parents or anyone with parental responsibility. A parent or person with parental responsibility could take wardship proceedings in court but it is unlikely that any court would order someone over 16 to return home if s/he did not want to."

You can also be classed as a 'missing person' which could cause unnecessary stress upon a family where a situation has arisen due to an angsty teenager. Legally you need consent.

OP, if the situation is that bad, and you're not just throwing your toys out of the pram (i.e. you are genuinely suffering from abuse, violence etc.) then you can get alsorts of confidential help. You can see a social worker or perhaps visit your local connexions branch. They would have a better judgement of your situation than we do on TSR, and you may be able to arrange a better solution than blindly running away. Moving out is hard at such a young age especially with little to no emotional support.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
It depends on his situation. If he is experiencing domestic violence, leaving home is probably better than living at home.

No doubt living alone is challenging. You need a strong personality and sufficient financial support from parents (>£1000 a month). On the first week I could not cook, spent £200 on take-away and dining out.

where you feeding a small country? what did you buy for £200? :confused:
Reply 19
You people are really not that bright. Look at the post dates.

Latest

Trending

Trending