The Student Room Group

Attendance/Student Finance

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me. I recently started a uni course which I enrolled on late and ended up missing out on 2 assessments. I have also tried finding a job that will fit around my schedule, and the one that I have now said that they would give me flexible hours but because someone has recently quit, I am have to cover their shifts which conflicts with my lessons.

Long story short, I've only managed to attend 1 lesson out of 4 a week, and now I'm worried that this might affect my next student finance payout in January.

Do you know if there is anything I can do to find out. can someone please advise!! 😊
Original post by EmmeSupreme23
Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me. I recently started a uni course which I enrolled on late and ended up missing out on 2 assessments. I have also tried finding a job that will fit around my schedule, and the one that I have now said that they would give me flexible hours but because someone has recently quit, I am have to cover their shifts which conflicts with my lessons.

Long story short, I've only managed to attend 1 lesson out of 4 a week, and now I'm worried that this might affect my next student finance payout in January.

Do you know if there is anything I can do to find out. can someone please advise!! 😊

Hello,

Your student finance payment in January will go through fine as long as your university has not removed you from the course for poor attendance. If you're still attending every week, you shouldn't be at risk of that however your grades will definitely be suffering. Perhaps consider finding a more flexible 0 hour contract job, such as being an ambassador for your university which is typically well-paid.

Not sure where you are studying, but the way it works at Bournemouth University is that students have the opportunity to resit any assignments or exams they have failed or missed during the academic year over summer, and if they pass over summer they can continue the course as normal. Failing twice will mean that unit will have to be retaken over the next year, but course fees will be adjusted to the value of only the resit units. If you feel you are getting really quite behind in one particular unit and don't think it's worth sacrificing your other units to catch up, you could study tactically to avoid that unit altogether and prepare to do it over summer instead, although you will have to pay for the assessment. This would be a worst-case scenario and is not a reccomended strategy - summers are needed for relaxing!

- Laura
(Original post by BU Students)Hello,

Your student finance payment in January will go through fine as long as your university has not removed you from the course for poor attendance. If you're still attending every week, you shouldn't be at risk of that however your grades will definitely be suffering. Perhaps consider finding a more flexible 0 hour contract job, such as being an ambassador for your university which is typically well-paid.

Not sure where you are studying, but the way it works at Bournemouth University is that students have the opportunity to resit any assignments or exams they have failed or missed during the academic year over summer, and if they pass over summer they can continue the course as normal. Failing twice will mean that unit will have to be retaken over the next year, but course fees will be adjusted to the value of only the resit units. If you feel you are getting really quite behind in one particular unit and don't think it's worth sacrificing your other units to catch up, you could study tactically to avoid that unit altogether and prepare to do it over summer instead, although you will have to pay for the assessment. This would be a worst-case scenario and is not a reccomended strategy - summers are needed for relaxing!

- Laura

Thank you so much... You've put my mind at rest.

Quick Reply

Latest