Turn on thread page Beta

Failed again. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Today, I failed my driving test for the second time.
    The first test I wasn’t so surprised about, I was a nervous wreck. 2 majors and 2 minors.
    This time I failed for a stupid little thing. I was on a dual carriageway and stayed on the right side for too long and I was slow. That was my only major and I had 5 minors.
    My instructor just told me I was unlucky and that I’m generally a great driver. I can’t help think that I’m just untalented.
    Should I even bother with driving? I suffer anxiety and I feel even if I had 1000+ hours of lessons I would just screw up on the next test anyway. Because that’s what I am, just a screw up.
    Maybe I should just go for automatic? This is wasting so much money and I let let my parents down again. Gosh and I have exams next month as well, so I have to work on that. Or should I just give up driving? Thanks for reading my rant, I needed to let it out.

ReputationRep:
    You are not a screw up...passing the test is nerve wrecking.
    You are attempting to pass the test for yourself...your parents are helping by paying and hopefully encouraging you.
    If the nerves are really that bad visit your GP and ask about beta blockers. I know of someone who passed on 5 attempt but had to take beta blockers because the nerves got really bad. The driving instructor felt they were more than competent to pass on first attempt!
    Good luck...and don’t be so down on yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up driving, it's always good to atleast know how to drive even if you don't have a car. Also it can take a while to pass your driving test. A family member mine hade to take the test 20 times
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by -AK-)
    The first test I wasn’t so surprised about, I was a nervous wreck. 2 majors and 2 minors.
    This time I failed for a stupid little thing. I was on a dual carriageway and stayed on the right side for too long and I was slow. That was my only major and I had 5 minors.
    My instructor just told me I was unlucky and that I’m generally a great driver. I can’t help think that I’m just untalented.
    Should I even bother with driving? I suffer anxiety and I feel even if I had 1000+ hours of lessons I would just screw up on the next test anyway. Because that’s what I am, just a screw up.
    Maybe I should just go for automatic? This is wasting so much money and I let let my parents down again. Gosh and I have exams next month as well, so I have to work on that. Or should I just give up driving? Thanks for reading my rant, I needed to let it out.
    You've said yourself, it was a silly thing staying in the right side lane for too long. Switching to an automatic won't help you and if your instructor says you're doing good then you're doing good.

Really, it sounds like the only issue is your confidence and general anxiety. Sounds like your driving is basically fine and there's little to address.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -AK-)
    You're really not. I know someone who failed 5 times. And you're never goin to perform as well on the test as you would normally because you know it's a test. Don't give up - you've come this far, you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pemzy)
    Don't give up driving, it's always good to atleast know how to drive even if you don't have a car. Also it can take a while to pass your driving test. A family member mine hade to take the test 20 times
    I do know how to drive, I just can’t drive under test conditions I suppose. 20 times wow, I’m glad they passed in the end. Thanks for your reply

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up I failed three times over the course of 3 years and gave up for two years. My theory expired and took a lot to try to do it all again. Keep trying, it is so disheartening to fail again but keep trying. You just need to gain your confidence if you know you can drive well. Practice on your parents cars, drive them around everywhere at every opportunity i.e. grocery shopping & taking them to work. By meeting traffic in different instances you will gain your confidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SicKitty)
    You're really not. I know someone who failed 5 times. And you're never goin to perform as well on the test as you would normally because you know it's a test. Don't give up - you've come this far, you will be fine.
    I never thought of it that way. I suppose I have come pretty far. Thank you for your reply.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I failed my driving test for the 3rd time yesterday so I know the feeling! The main problem with me is generally stress and nerves too, so I relate. Honestly though, even though right now it feels really awful and you want to give up (I’m exactly the same), we can do this!! Just consider the first 2 as practice, you’ll get it 3rd time hopefully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -AK-)
    I never thought of it that way. I suppose I have come pretty far. Thank you for your reply.
    When i think about me driving i always think about how my mum only did a few lessons and quit and now there's a lot she misses out on. It's empowering to be able to drive, you're not the only one who finds it hard. I hope you pass soon!

ReputationRep:
    3 is the magic number

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    You've said yourself, it was a silly thing staying in the right side lane for too long. Switching to an automatic won't help you and if your instructor says you're doing good then you're doing good.

Really, it sounds like the only issue is your confidence and general anxiety. Sounds like your driving is basically fine and there's little to address.
    I just don’t want to mess up for a little thing again. It knocks my confidence and it wastes a lot of time and money and I don’t like my parents being disappointed. Maybe I’m not cut out for driving. However what you said does make a lot of sense, so I’m maybe it is just confidence after all? Thank you for your reply
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by -AK-)
    I do know how to drive, I just can’t drive under test conditions I suppose.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but until you're able to drive comfortably under test conditions, it's probably best if you don't pass. Being a capable driver is good, but to remain a safe road user you also need to be able to drive calmly, without stressing. Maybe one day you have to drive to a job interview, or some other stressful event and it's important that this don't interfere with your driving. Of course part of that comes with practice but from a practical standpoint, it'll do you good if you're able to conquer your anxiety here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toebean)
    You are not a screw up...passing the test is nerve wrecking.
    You are attempting to pass the test for yourself...your parents are helping by paying and hopefully encouraging you.
    If the nerves are really that bad visit your GP and ask about beta blockers. I know of someone who passed on 5 attempt but had to take beta blockers because the nerves got really bad. The driving instructor felt they were more than competent to pass on first attempt!
    Good luck...and don’t be so down on yourself.
    Thanks for your words and the advice. I think it’s high time I actually ask my GP for more help on my anxiety. It’s messing up everything. Thank you for your reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SicKitty)
    When i think about me driving i always think about how my mum only did a few lessons and quit and now there's a lot she misses out on. It's empowering to be able to drive, you're not the only one who finds it hard. I hope you pass soon!
    I’m sure mum would be a fantastic driver if she went for it. Having a licence can be so useful Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -AK-)
    Dude took me three times got there in the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsruser31415)
    3 is the magic number
    Eh, I guess...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I passed on my fifth test. Deserved to fail my first but on tests 2-4 I got less than 5 minors and then a major for something silly.

It’s really just luck of the draw as to who your examiner is - I actually failed my 4th test as the examiner felt I was perceiving potential hazards a little too early, I was “too prepared” and he felt I was nervous and would benefit from retaking the test. So he gave me a major at the end of the test to fail me. I was like.... yeh of course I’m nervous, it’s my 4th test and they’re expensive and I’m skint!! Of course I’m “prepared” and driving carefully!

So yeh, don’t let it bother you. It says nothing about your driving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcameron)
    Don't give up I failed three times over the course of 3 years and gave up for two years. My theory expired and took a lot to try to do it all again. Keep trying, it is so disheartening to fail again but keep trying. You just need to gain your confidence if you know you can drive well. Practice on your parents cars, drive them around everywhere at every opportunity i.e. grocery shopping & taking them to work. By meeting traffic in different instances you will gain your confidence
    That’s really really good advice. Yes my theory expires in March. I suppose if I continue right now, I could finish my practical and not do theory again. I’ll try and do what you say. Thank you for your reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gradebaker)
    Hey, I failed my driving test for the 3rd time yesterday so I know the feeling! The main problem with me is generally stress and nerves too, so I relate. Honestly though, even though right now it feels really awful and you want to give up (I’m exactly the same), we can do this!! Just consider the first 2 as practice, you’ll get it 3rd time hopefully
    Oh no, you too? Considering the first two as practice seems to make it better actually. Gosh stress and nerves of course :s: I suppose we can do this. Hey, I bet you’re going to pass the next one for sure! Good luck! Thank you for replying

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.