The Student Room Group

effects of separation on student finance

Hi I am a EU student living in England since February 2015 and on my first year of Nursing.
I have access to maintenance loan and childcare grant as a migrant worker and I am currently living with my husband.
However things are really bad between me and my husband as he's being mentally and emotionally abusive that I am considering separating from him before things could get worse.
If I decide to move and live alone with my child, will this affect my student finance since my husband is the one supporting my application?
I know I should think about my own safety and my child's but I have already deffered a year for financial reasons and I don't want to stop my progression in my career. My parents live in Italy and don't work so I can only rely on myself in case I decide to go further with the separation.
Thanks in advance.
Original post by SofiaW92
Hi I am a EU student living in England since February 2015 and on my first year of Nursing.
I have access to maintenance loan and childcare grant as a migrant worker and I am currently living with my husband.
However things are really bad between me and my husband as he's being mentally and emotionally abusive that I am considering separating from him before things could get worse.
If I decide to move and live alone with my child, will this affect my student finance since my husband is the one supporting my application?
I know I should think about my own safety and my child's but I have already deffered a year for financial reasons and I don't want to stop my progression in my career. My parents live in Italy and don't work so I can only rely on myself in case I decide to go further with the separation.
Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the situation you are in. When you have applied for your finance as a Migrant Worker, are you the one working or did you apply as the spouse of a Migrant Worker?

Thanks, Duncan
Reply 2
I have applied as the one working as my husband comes from a non EU country, but he sponsored my application as i have not been living with my parents for 4 years.
Original post by SofiaW92
I have applied as the one working as my husband comes from a non EU country, but he sponsored my application as i have not been living with my parents for 4 years.

Hi,

If you separate from your partner, when you return to study you would just need to provide us with evidence of this and we can award you the maximum maintenance loan. This is because we wouldn't take your partners income in to consideration.

Thanks, Duncan
Reply 4
Thank you for your help, Duncan, that made things clear.

Quick Reply

Latest