Grade 8/9 in English Language? Watch

justleah
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,

I'm a year 11 and I sat my mocks for English language (AQA 2018 paper) in October. I got a grade 7 overall with 109/160. I'm disappointed as I really wanted to get an 8 as I have high expectations. In order to get an 8, I would've had to gain 9 more marks.

How can I improve my score by 9+ marks to get an 8 in my exam?
username4279590
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by justleah)
Hi,

I'm a year 11 and I sat my mocks for English language (AQA 2018 paper) in October. I got a grade 7 overall with 109/160. I'm disappointed as I really wanted to get an 8 as I have high expectations. In order to get an 8, I would've had to gain 9 more marks.

A 7 is good.
username4151304
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I got a grade 8 (I’m now doing Alevel English- year 13). The best advice to give you is to go on the AQA website and look through the examiner reports and past paper mark schemes, so you can reflect on your specific weak points to see what they’re looking for. Lang papers are so broad I can’t pin point advice when I don’t know your specific question marks.

Here’s the link: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/engl...ment-resources

I really hope this helps!!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
MAXW303
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi,

Do you know what you got for each question, as questions 5 & 4 carry the most marks, and so answering them to the best of your abilities will certainly get you your grade.
Gent2324
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
we dont know where you went wrong so how can we help you?
justleah
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by MAXW303)
Do you know what you got for each question, as questions 5 & 4 carry the most marks, and so answering them to the best of your abilities will certainly get you your grade.
This is the breakdown of marks for each paper.
Paper 1 (AQA 2018)
1: 4/4
2: 6/8
3: 5/8
4: 11/20
5: 27/40
Total: 53/80

Paper 2 (AQA 2018)
2: 4/8
3: 7/12
4: 9/16
5: 32/40
Total:56/80
Gent2324
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Here's the breakdown of marks. I don't know why I didn't add them initially.
Paper 1 (AQA 2018)

Paper 2 (AQA 2018)
i didnt mean marks, i meant what you got marks for, so we can find out what you didnt get marks for. there are thousands of revsion tips and only a few will apply to you
MAXW303
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
This is the breakdown of marks for each paper.
Paper 1 (AQA 2018)

Paper 2 (AQA 2018)
ITS 100% question 5's and 4's, get over 30 for question 5 paper 1 and over 15 for question 4 , preferably > 16 marks and over 12 for question 4 paper 2. Basically make sure you're always in the top bands each each question, so at least 32 for each question 5 and then over 16 p1q4, over 12 p2q4 etc
Tolgarda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
In the summer, I scored a mark of 155, but prior to that, I only managed a score of something around the 120s and 130s (factoring all of my best performances across multiple mocks, so it was a sort of 'best-scenario calculation' for the highest possible mark I could have achieved) -- a seemingly accurate calculation at the time, seeing as it was made in May. There is always time to improve, and a grade 7 at this stage is probably ideal for anyone that aspires to achieve a grade 8/9 in the real thing.

I'd recommend that you ask your teacher to explain the requirements of the mark-scheme to you. I think teachers for essay-based subjects are very good at translating the mark-scheme into more understandable terms that you can apply to your answers when writing them.

You should also practise writing answers to time, this will allow you to have an accurate understanding of your ability. You can do this on certain questions, but practising answers on full papers will probably be more comprehensive as you'll know how you fare against different question types across the board. I actually practised a paper a week before my second exam and got a few vague notes of improvement (and some affirmation) by my teacher, but it was enough.

Another thing to remember is that some teachers are much harsher markers than others. I know that my teacher would have probably stripped me of my grade 9. Some examiners may have actually marked your pieces differently and awarded the nine extra marks over the two papers. English is subjective, and different examiners will interpret things, well, differently. So maybe this is just the worst-case scenario that you're being prepared for here.

One thing that I think you're doing well is that you're looking at your marks rather than your grade to see which questions you're performing poorly on. This, in my opinion, is the first step to improvement.

This is a very broad answer, but I have more specific tips for certain questions if you want.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 3 months ago
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I got an 8 with merit (I was 6 marks short of a 9), and here's how I did it:

1. Make sure you know your presentation well, and use technical language, don't talk from notes as that lowers your pass/merit/distinction mark.

2. Mind map each exam paper so you know what you need to do for each question and how many marks/time will be for each question.

3. Know the technical devices, how to use them, how to spot them, why the author uses them, and what they mean to the reader.

3. Know the sentence structures, how to use them, how to spot them, why the author uses them and what they mean to the reader.

4. Watch Mr Bruff's videos and if you can afford to download is booklet as well.

5. Read different newspapers and study the articles, how they are worded, the layout, etc. Also have a look at letter layouts, reports etc.

6. You must know what you need to do for each grade, for instance to pass from lower grades up to must be able to write in paragraphs, with capital letters and false stops. Know how to use discourse markers etc.

7. Make up the mind maps, flash cards, cheat sheets and learn them really really well.

I started revising in the January before the June exams, but you may wish to start early, just pace yourself so you peek at the exam time. Remember it's like being an athlete.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.39%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (56)
10.31%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (97)
17.86%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (82)
15.1%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
9.94%
How can I be the best version of myself? (165)
30.39%

Watched Threads