The Student Room Group

Will you donate money to your college when you've left?

There was some debate on this recently within one of the threads, and it got me thinking. When you're in gainful employment and all grown up, will you donate money to your college? My college is organising a telethon over the summer vac, and after some thought, I've concluded that I'd rather glass myself in the face than give money to either the college or the university - I won't catalogue my disappointments here, but those of you who've seen my other posts will know they are many and heartfelt. However, I've had particularly bad experiences here, and I know that most people are happy - but I wondered, does that translate into actually wanting to donate money? If so, would you go out of your way to do so, or would you only bother if College rang you up and asked? Would you attach conditions (e.g. that the money could only be spent on one particular thing or project)? How much would you donate? Why do you think you should donate - or not?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I feel a bit guilty because college have given me money for various things, including over £100 a year for books. However they are absolutely rolling in it and I think there are more needy recipients of my future cash...
No, we arent as rich as Johns, but with 100 million pounds we still have twice as much as the whole of Imperial University...

Not quite the same as giving to poor people in africa etc etc
Reply 3
to stay competitive with the USA I would think oxbridge would need the donations.
Reply 4
Sorry to hijack this thread somewhat.

Crazster
to stay competitive with the USA I would think oxbridge would need the donations.

That's exactly the reason behind the Cambridge 800 Year Anniversary Campaign - they aim to get in total £1 billion.
I would give to my college to set up a scholarship fund for poorer students. I know a lot of foreign students who should have the opportunity to study at Oxford, and whose minds could really do some brilliant things as students and graduates, but cannot afford to go.

Colleges and the University may have large endowments, but they are nothing compared to US Universities, and they can't exactly dig into capital. They have to survive on investment proceeds which go to paying staff, professors, buying books, running the college, and often building more to accommodate more students and facilities. They have to stay at the top of the line in terms of labs and facilities, and this all costs a fortune.

I am not talking about giving money to a college so that the president/rector/dean/provost/warden can get a raise, but rather so that the bursaries remain open and able for more students.
Reply 6
Jesus no! We pay enough in tuition fees!
Reply 7
I don't love my college, particularly, but I didn't think I loved my school and these days I look back on it quite fondly, and think I would give it something, so who knows.

Most likely I'd give it money and tell it how to spend it, though, on something cool like a jewelled birdtable or a Hammond and Leslie cab for the music room. And I think it'd be more likely still, were I ever to get rich (which I don't think is likely!) that I'd give money to the modern languages faculty for a travel scholarship.
Reply 8
I'm only going to give money if I earn - ooh, £60-70k+ a year (ha!), and then I'll stipulate that the money will go on the library - Wadham never has quite enough copies of most books. I'd probably also want to know how much college had put rent up by...
Reply 9
Hmm, that's a bit of a tricky question, but assuming I could actually afford to donate some money (which isn't very likely, but oh well), I suppose I would, because I enjoyed my time there and was happy with my course and tutors, and the non-academic college staff were very friendly and helpful. If I did decide to donate, though, I'd prefer to do so of my own accord, not because the college had been consistently badgering me with emails, letters, phone calls and whatnot. Not sure if I'd specify a purpose, but I probably would, simply because I wouldn't want to end up supporting projects or causes which I thought were a bad idea.
Reply 10
Cambridge not Oxford, but what the hey...Yes, I'll be giving to my college.
Reply 11
As i understand it, it's the universities (cambridge and oxford) that are particularly in need of extra funding, rather than the colleges who are pretty well set up, by and large (although obviously not gonna discourage donations of course). Indeed the cambridge anniversary appeal is mainly inspired to encourage donations to the university itself, rather than the colleges. This, after all, is what's gonna improve research facilities and funding.

As for whether i'll donate myself- i think that'll depend on how the fees system works when i'm earning enough to be able to afford more than token sums. If they continue upping fees, i'll be less than sympathetic tbh- i appreciate they're nothing compared with american fees, but frankly the process is expensive enough, considering we're likely to be some of the highest net contributors to society anyway (whether because we're earning stupid amounts in the city and being taxed accordingly or because we become teachers, doctors, civil servants etc.)

Also, i'm pretty annoyed at lincoln for axing computer science, particularly that they didn't even bother to consult or even inform us.
OP what problems do you have at your college?
Reply 13
I'm a little wary of giving specifics, as my TSR identity isn't particularly anonymous. But basically, when I had a very serious problem in my second year, which wasn't my fault, the college welfare provision was patchy, and one tutor in particular was, IMO, unprofessional. Furthermore, the exam results in my subject aren't very good, yet to my knowledge nothing has been done to tackle this. Also, less importantly, my college is very strict. It has very strict rules about guests, which are adhered to, and about making us sign a book if we plan to stay out overnight - if you're caught having not done so, you can be fined. They also got very shirty with me in my first year for leaving clothes and newspapers on my floor - whilst friends at other colleges are far messier and don't get any grief for it.

It's not just a case of me disliking my college, though. I'm from a pretty humble background, and the whole Oxford experience has been isolating - other students have made some horribly snobby remarks (such as making judgements about how my parents are "irresponsible" for not finding the money to send me to private school, and sneering at how my hairstyle apparently looks very "state school" because my hair isn't feathered. SERIOUSLY.), and I think the examination and tutorial system generally favours the confident and fluent ex-public-schoolboy over somebody equally intelligent but whose prior education hasn't taught them the art of blagging. And that's not to mention the stupid number of black tie events, often with ridiculous ticket prices. My sister's at a redbrick and the attitude of both her university, and her fellow students, is much more inclusive, and there's less institutional snobbery. As I'm studying Medicine, it's not even that big a plus to have "Oxford" on my CV. I'm in my final term now, and I really wish I'd just gone to my insurance choice university.
Reply 14
Quistis
I'm a little wary of giving specifics, as my TSR identity isn't particularly anonymous. But basically, when I had a very serious problem in my second year, which wasn't my fault, the college welfare provision was patchy, and one tutor in particular was, IMO, unprofessional. Furthermore, the exam results in my subject aren't very good, yet to my knowledge nothing has been done to tackle this. Also, less importantly, my college is very strict. It has very strict rules about guests, which are adhered to, and about making us sign a book if we plan to stay out overnight - if you're caught having not done so, you can be fined. They also got very shirty with me in my first year for leaving clothes and newspapers on my floor - whilst friends at other colleges are far messier and don't get any grief for it.It's not just a case of me disliking my college, though. I'm from a pretty humble background, and the whole Oxford experience has been isolating - other students have made some horribly snobby remarks (such as making judgements about how my parents are "irresponsible" for not finding the money to send me to private school, and sneering at how my hairstyle apparently looks very "state school" because my hair isn't feathered. SERIOUSLY.), and I think the examination and tutorial system generally favours the confident and fluent ex-public-schoolboy over somebody equally intelligent but whose prior education hasn't taught them the art of blagging. And that's not to mention the stupid number of black tie events, often with ridiculous ticket prices. My sister's at a redbrick and the attitude of both her university, and her fellow students, is much more inclusive, and there's less institutional snobbery. As I'm studying Medicine, it's not even that big a plus to have "Oxford" on my CV. I'm in my final term now, and I really wish I'd just gone to my insurance choice university.

Could I ask which college?
Reply 15
I've actually worked on my college telethon and I'm still not sure how I rate the experience. Most people actually want to give to college, it seems to me - they saw their years at Exeter as an important part of their lives and several said it was when they were happiest. They also realise that students are poor and need support, and that, depsite endowments, running a college is very expensive. However, you do get some people who ask why you're phoning, say they hated it, say college has enough money etc. What it really made me see, however, was that I have a connection to hundreds of people that I don't even know through a special shared experience. For me, my college is an important place and I think this will only increase in later life.

So even though I'm likely to be poor in later life, I will give to my college, even if it's just £20 here and there. I know my college would be grateful for that, and being here has exposed me to so much and given me lots of opportunities that I otherwise would not have had. I'm really looking forward to the day I get phoned up, because I want to stay in touch with my college and I find it really funny that in ten years time or so, someone else will be doing what I did.
Reply 16
I don't go to Oxford, but I think the donations system is very noble indeed.
Reply 17
I'm sorry you've had such a hard time, quistis. Perhaps hilda's will become more relaxed over the next few years, what with them admitting men and all.

I'm particularly sorry you've had such bad experiences with private school kids; i'm from a state school, too, but have to say that i've never encountered any snobbery about it, and honestly it's only ever been mentioned in passing.

I hope you have an awesome time at st. george's next year. From what i've heard from friends it's a really nice place to be a student.
I got chucked out of hildas before may day for running around on the grass pushing a friend in a trolley. oops
Reply 19
Absolutely not. The Oxford and Cambridge colleges I've had dealings with have been totally useless and deserve nothing. The level of inefficiency and incompetence amongst collegiate administration is collossal. Not to mention the fact that the colleges seem entirely incapable of collaborating with each other on matters concerning resource allocation and academic provision (JRAM, anyone?)

Despite the fact that the Oxbridge colleges hold vastly more wealth than the universities themselves, their contribution to academic output (i.e. teaching and research) is minimal. In order to be assured a competitive status in the future, Oxbridge needs to centralise academic administration to bring it away from the incompetent hands of the colleges. It is the universities and faculties who are in desparate need of financial assistance and who will make use of resources much more efficiently than the colleges so if you are considering donating money to your alma mater, I would implore you to consider donating to your faculty in preference to your college where your donation will be put to much greater use.

Latest

Trending

Trending