The Student Room Group

Optical isomers hard exam q

I dont know how u get p q and r , i drew out c6h12 but i dont know where tp put the dpuble bond so i cant go any further in the question, cant attempt it all
Reply 1
Original post by usernamenew
I dont know how u get p q and r , i drew out c6h12 but i dont know where tp put the dpuble bond so i cant go any further in the question, cant attempt it all

nit sure if u can see the attached question

It wont let ke send it
Reply 2

What's not to get? You have posted the answer! What don't you get?
Reply 3
Original post by Pigster
What's not to get? You have posted the answer! What don't you get?

i posted the answer bc i still dont get it!! i have no idea how they got each of those products
i posted the answer bc i still dont get it!! i have no idea how they got each of those products

The initial information given tells you that there is one double bond,

P can represent a pair of optical isomers.
This tells you that there is a carbon atom with four different groups.
This is now an exercise in logic.
1. Start with C-H
2. Once you have removed a carbon from C6H12 you have 5 carbon atoms to play with AND you must make three different groups. One of those groups MUST contain C=C, hence you now have 3 carbon atoms to make two different groups. Clearly there is two carbon atoms in one group and one in the other.

CH2=CH-CH(CH3)C2H5
Reply 5
Original post by charco
The initial information given tells you that there is one double bond,

P can represent a pair of optical isomers.
This tells you that there is a carbon atom with four different groups.
This is now an exercise in logic.
1. Start with C-H
2. Once you have removed a carbon from C6H12 you have 5 carbon atoms to play with AND you must make three different groups. One of those groups MUST contain C=C, hence you now have 3 carbon atoms to make two different groups. Clearly there is two carbon atoms in one group and one in the other.

CH2=CH-CH(CH3)C2H5

thank u so much, in these sorts of questions, should i always begin with C-H?
thank u so much, in these sorts of questions, should i always begin with C-H?

Hydrogen is the simplest "group", so I would suggest yes.

Quick Reply

Latest