gmsb09
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
‘Desire brings about the downfall of all characters within ‘A Streetcar Named Desire’’

- please can someone help me with this question??
- any quotes/ ideas/ critic quotes would be highly appreciated 🙏🏼😅

THANK YOU!
(Also comparing this to Small Island by Andrea Levy so if you have anything on that, it would be great too)
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1. Blanche Dubois was brought to Elysian Fields by the Streetcar 'Desire.'. The nature of a team is that it must stay on its tracks and cannot deviate, suggesting that, in giving into desire, Blanche's fate is already inevitable.
2. Due to his physical lust for Blanche, Mitch loses any possibility of a future with her, even though the last scene suggests that he does somehow care for her despite everything.
3.Stanley rapes Blanche but experiences no consequences for his actions. However, Stella says that she could believe what Blanche said and keep living with Stanley, suggesting that the natural consequence of his actions would be the downfall of his family, but for Stella's own desire to keep him and maintain the family unit.
4. Camille Paglia said something along the lines of the males in Streetcar have a very strong bond, that Williams looks onto from the sidelines.. As a pack, the males are animalistic, predatory and generally United, perhaps suggesting that, in weakening herself in regards to Mitch, Blanche makes herself more vulnerable to the rest of the pack. Her desire for a safe, secure future cannot be realised in Elysian Fields and only exposes her further to Stanley's power.
or something like that! Hope it helps!
gmsb09
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by redmeercat)
1. Blanche Dubois was brought to Elysian Fields by the Streetcar 'Desire.'. The nature of a team is that it must stay on its tracks and cannot deviate, suggesting that, in giving into desire, Blanche's fate is already inevitable.
2. Due to his physical lust for Blanche, Mitch loses any possibility of a future with her, even though the last scene suggests that he does somehow care for her despite everything.
3.Stanley rapes Blanche but experiences no consequences for his actions. However, Stella says that she could believe what Blanche said and keep living with Stanley, suggesting that the natural consequence of his actions would be the downfall of his family, but for Stella's own desire to keep him and maintain the family unit.
4. Camille Paglia said something along the lines of the males in Streetcar have a very strong bond, that Williams looks onto from the sidelines.. As a pack, the males are animalistic, predatory and generally United, perhaps suggesting that, in weakening herself in regards to Mitch, Blanche makes herself more vulnerable to the rest of the pack. Her desire for a safe, secure future cannot be realised in Elysian Fields and only exposes her further to Stanley's power.
or something like that! Hope it helps!
So helpful!! Like thank you so so much! x
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wordsandroses)
So helpful!! Like thank you so so much! x
No problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (48)
14.37%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.77%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (121)
36.23%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.88%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
20.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.39%

Watched Threads