I really don't understand how to reference :/

Watch
lucieol
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm in first year and in the middle of writing my second essay. The feedback for my first essay pretty much said I hadn't referenced stuff properly at all and even after reading all the handouts my uni has given us about referencing I still don't really get it. I know how to list them at the end but I don't know how to reference when I'm quoting something?
<..........>
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A lot of students struggle with referencing, there are a lot of good resources out there to explain the process to you as well as some great little tools that even do it for you like citethisforme.com (although you need to be careful that their output accurately reflects your own institution's version of Harvard or whatever the system may be).

Do you have a specific question that maybe I can help you out with? Which aspect of it are you struggling with?
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not 100% sure either, but I'm going to research the Harvard referencing method, as that it's apparently what most unis use. If you research that you should find enough resources
MinatoNamikaze
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You should have a look at the harvard system of referencing. I am doing EPQ but the method we use for referencing is professional and exactly what is expecteed in Uni to avoid plagiarism and to give due credit to the authors.

So what you need to do-
1) Use footnotes to show where u got the source from. The format should be--- Author's name " Article name" (year written) [link to original document/article/paper]
2) In the end you have to include Bibliography. This includes what's written in the footer notes but you also have to include analysis on the source.

Ask questions like-
a) why this source?
b) how it contributes?
c) is it reliable?
d) is the source thoroughly peer reviewed?

You also need to include sources that you rejected with full analysis as a normal source above as you need to show all the hard work you put in to research.
You additionally need to include why you rejected the source.

If you do this, then you are good to go If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them as well. Good luck!!
Last edited by MinatoNamikaze; 2 years ago
<..........>
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MinatoNamikaze)
You should have a look at the harvard system of referencing. I am doing EPQ but the method we use for referencing is professional and exactly what is expecteed in Uni to avoid plagiarism and to give due credit to the authors.

So what you need to do-
1) Use footnotes to show where u got the source from. The format should be--- Author's name " Article name" (year written) [link to original document/article/paper]
2) In the end you have to include Bibliography. This includes what's written in the footer notes but you also have to include analysis on the source.

Ask questions like-
a) why this source?
b) how it contributes?
c) is it reliable?
d) is the source thoroughly peer reviewed?

You also need to include sources that you rejected with full analysis as a normal source above as you need to show all the hard work you put in to research.
You additionally need to include why you rejected the source.

If you do this, then you are good to go If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them as well. Good luck!!
Sorry, I don't mean to be a pest but that's a really specific system that I suspect is entirely unique to EPQ.
I've never, ever seen anyone include a source in a piece of university-level work that they are rejecting and with reasons as to why it's being rejected - that just wouldn't happen. Also, footnotes are not typically used in the Harvard system either, although sometimes with Vancouver.

Ultimately, the student needs to present their references according to the style guide published by their university. There isn't a one-size approach to referencing, (in terms of the actual text of the citations themselves) it's about complying with the rules that are set out for you by a university, a conference or an academic journal.
MinatoNamikaze
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Johnathan94)
Sorry, I don't mean to be a pest but that's a really specific system that I suspect is entirely unique to EPQ.
I've never, ever seen anyone include a source in a piece of university-level work that they are rejecting and with reasons as to why it's being rejected - that just wouldn't happen. Also, footnotes are not typically used in the Harvard system either, although sometimes with Vancouver.

Ultimately, the student needs to present their references according to the style guide published by their university. There isn't a one-size approach to referencing, (in terms of the actual text of the citations themselves) it's about complying with the rules that are set out for you by a university, a conference or an academic journal.
Just giving an idea to make it not look complex, but yes you are right though if you can please support the op according to his university as you stated then that would be great as I might not be aware of that info.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lucieol)
I'm in first year and in the middle of writing my second essay. The feedback for my first essay pretty much said I hadn't referenced stuff properly at all and even after reading all the handouts my uni has given us about referencing I still don't really get it. I know how to list them at the end but I don't know how to reference when I'm quoting something?
Do you have a Learning Development Unit at your uni? If so, you can get appointments for 1-1 sessions specifically for referencing.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey lucieol

If you ask your course leader or other tutors, they'll be able to submit you some information on how to reference. Each university has their own system of referencing, e.g. my university uses APA, another may use Harvard, etc.

Once you know which style of reference you need to use, you can follow that format from paper to paper and you'll get the hang of it. Remember that year one is based around you getting a grounding for techniques like this, so don't stress. This is your time to learn and find out.

My university library has bookable sessions where they'll teach you to reference. Have you checked if you have anything like this? Anyone you can ask such as friends on the course, etc.

Hope this helps
Josh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (122)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (368)
14.77%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (272)
10.91%
Lack of purpose or motivation (351)
14.09%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (114)
4.57%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (151)
6.06%
Loneliness (214)
8.59%
Financial worries (93)
3.73%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.25%
Exposure to negative news/social media (119)
4.78%
Lack of real life entertainment (132)
5.3%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (216)
8.67%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (234)
9.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed