The Student Room Group

Working during A levels

I'm in my second year of A levels and I work 19 hours every week (7 hours Friday and 12 hours Saturday). I was thinking of quitting at the end of January to focus on my A levels, as I want to get As. However, my parents are saying I shouldn't quit as the hours aren't that long and my mum doubts I'd do work at the weekends anyway. I think I would personally. My mum suggested if I do anything to just do one shift a week so I'm still earning money. I can see this is a good idea but I'm not sure, because I really don't want anything distracting me.

Anyone have an advice or experience with work and A levels?
Work a lot in the Christmas holidays, then as your mum suggested you can cut it down to one shift per week.
But you need to ask yourself do you really need the money? If you do then go ahead and do one shift per week starting from February maybe. Then when it comes to exam period ask if you can take a leave or something to concentrate on exams.
My friend worked 3 times a week throughout AS and managed to get AAA in maths, chem, and biology. So it is manageable, but maybe not for everyone.

What subjects are you doing anyway?
Reply 2
Original post by kurro
Work a lot in the Christmas holidays, then as your mum suggested you can cut it down to one shift per week.
But you need to ask yourself do you really need the money? If you do then go ahead and do one shift per week starting from February maybe. Then when it comes to exam period ask if you can take a leave or something to concentrate on exams.
My friend worked 3 times a week throughout AS and managed to get AAA in maths, chem, and biology. So it is manageable, but maybe not for everyone.

What subjects are you doing anyway?

Work go on a 2 week break in the holidays but I'll get holiday pay. It's just what to do afterwards. By the end of the month I should have £4000 so I guess I'm not too bad off (I'm saving to travel to Japan). So far I'm leaning towards just quitting after January. I used to work 3 times a week at AS too but A2 is so demanding. I study biology, psychology and health and social care. Also thanks for replying :smile:
Original post by kazzabean
Work go on a 2 week break in the holidays but I'll get holiday pay. It's just what to do afterwards. By the end of the month I should have £4000 so I guess I'm not too bad off (I'm saving to travel to Japan). So far I'm leaning towards just quitting after January. I used to work 3 times a week at AS too but A2 is so demanding. I study biology, psychology and health and social care. Also thanks for replying :smile:

Oh shoot, I misread. I thought you where doing AS.
As your doing A level now, yes I would suggest quitting or working once a week.
As you will have biology practical exams around jan/feb right?

Wow, Japan....always wanted to go there haha
have fun :smile:
I'm in my second year of A levels and I work 19 hours every week (7 hours Friday and 12 hours Saturday). I was thinking of quitting at the end of January to focus on my A levels, as I want to get As. However, my parents are saying I shouldn't quit as the hours aren't that long and my mum doubts I'd do work at the weekends anyway. I think I would personally. My mum suggested if I do anything to just do one shift a week so I'm still earning money. I can see this is a good idea but I'm not sure, because I really don't want anything distracting me.

Anyone have an advice or experience with work and A levels?

I know of a lot of people who have worked and still got good grades.
Id go down to one shift a week.
Reply 5
Original post by kurro
Oh shoot, I misread. I thought you where doing AS.
As your doing A level now, yes I would suggest quitting or working once a week.
As you will have biology practical exams around jan/feb right?

Wow, Japan....always wanted to go there haha
have fun :smile:

No practical exams, we do mini practicals all throughout the year. We call them PAGs if you ever heard of them. Then we have 3 written exams in May and June to determine what grade we get.
No practical exams, we do mini practicals all throughout the year. We call them PAGs if you ever heard of them. Then we have 3 written exams in May and June to determine what grade we get.

Thats so interesting.
Mine is similar but we do not have practicals throughout the year.
In the first year we just had 2 exams in may. Then start next years work until July.
Then in the final year we have a practical exam in jan/feb time where the exam board gives us an experiment and we have to follow the steps. Then a few days later i think we have an exam on the practical. Then in June we have 2 more exams.
(this is just for science subjects)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending