jokhasaid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Describe the mechanism of glucose reabsorption into the blood from the lumen of the proximal convoluted tubule of the kidney
ceza56
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
How many marks? I think it would just be diffusion and talk about high to low concn gradient
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ceza56)
How many marks? I think it would just be diffusion and talk about high to low concn gradient
Nah, you don't just want to equalise concentrations of glucose between urine and blood - you want to get as much sugar back into the blood as you possibly can. I suspect there is active transport involved and maybe some more complicated, sneaky processes going on. OP, I recommend you crack an A-Level biology textbook. It'll be in there.
ceza56
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Nah, you don't just want to equalise concentrations of glucose between urine and blood - you want to get as much sugar back into the blood as you possibly can. I suspect there is active transport involved and maybe some more complicated, sneaky processes going on. OP, I recommend you crack an A-Level biology textbook. It'll be in there.
That makes more sense tbf, I think it is actively transported actually !! You are more than likely right
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by jokhasaid)
Describe the mechanism of glucose reabsorption into the blood from the lumen of the proximal convoluted tubule of the kidney
What level is this at? I'd talk about sodium co-transport/secondary active transport.
BobbJo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by jokhasaid)
Fluid in the filtrate entering the proximal convoluted tubule is reabsorbed into the peritubular capillaries. This is driven by sodium transport from the lumen into the blood by the Na+/K+ ATPase in the basolateral membrane of the epithelial cells.

Firstly, the glucose in the proximal tubule is co-transported with sodium ions into the proximal convoluted tubule walls via the SGLT2 cotransporter. Some (typically smaller) amino acids are also transported in this way. Once in the tubule wall, the glucose and amino acids diffuse directly into the blood capillaries along a concentration gradient. This blood is flowing, so the gradient is maintained. Lastly, sodium/potassium ion active transport pumps remove sodium from the tubule wall and the sodium is put back into the blood. This maintains a sodium concentration gradient in the proximal tubule lining, so the first step continues to happen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.44%
No (68)
75.56%

Watched Threads