The Student Room Group

Independent/ Dependent Variables?

Hi Everyone
I am studying Psychology and have to do an experiment on memory. Main question is to do with variables (IV and DV)

Am doing a study on control group v experimental group who have depression, the experimental group will receive a negative stimuli from other group (no stimuli) to see if that impacts recall after both having word lists to remember.

Would the IV be the depressed group and the DV be negative stimuli or the actual test? Any help would be most appreciated as a bit confused!!
Thanks in advance
Reply 1
IV is the negative stimulus the Group will receive and the DV is whether the recall of the words is effected or not. Because your testing to see whether the negative stimulus will affect the recall or not. Unless I’ve misunderstood the experiment lol I think thats right?
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply The control group will have no stimuli, just recall of words and the experimental group will have the negative stimuli introduced (i.e image of human face showing negative emotion). I was just a bit unsure as to what the DV and IV are, gets a bit confusing at times !!Thanks again
I think you need four groups here: depression/ controll and stimulus/ non stimulus? Or have I misunderstood?
Reply 4
Not sure really, was doing a study on memory recall and was going to use two groups. One with healthy adults and one with depressed adults.

Both groups would have a number of words to recall and the depressed group would have the negative stimuli introduced before being asked to recall.

So you think I would need more groups to compare?
Is it your first year?
Original post by sflk74
Not sure really, was doing a study on memory recall and was going to use two groups. One with healthy adults and one with depressed adults.

Both groups would have a number of words to recall and the depressed group would have the negative stimuli introduced before being asked to recall.

I think 2 of each would be reasonable because you’ll be to see the difference.
Original post by sflk74

How can you tell if the effect is due to depression or the negative stimulus?
Reply 8
Original post by nabilahhh
Is it your first year?

Yes, I am doing the Access Course to higher education, English, History and Psychology.
Reply 9
Original post by nabilahhh
I think 2 of each would be reasonable because you’ll be to see the difference.

Now I think about it, having more groups to compare does make sense.
Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by bingbong654
How can you tell if the effect is due to depression or the negative stimulus?

Good point, I think I should maybe add a positive stimuli as well to compare , plus have more groups as you all have suggested. Given me something to think about.
Thank you
cool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending