SassyP2000
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Can I sue my primary school and secondary school for not doing anything about the neglect I was suffering at home?

- There’s no report or anything of the neglect but it happened and there were signs that they should’ve noticed.

How can I speak to someone that can advise me?
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Did you inform anyone?
SassyP2000
Rep:
?
I didn’t outright say at the time ‘I’m being neglected’ but I did inform people that I wasn’t allowed to get washed and things like that, which would have been backed up with me not being clean
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by SassyP2000)
I didn’t outright say at the time ‘I’m being neglected’ but I did inform people that I wasn’t allowed to get washed and things like that, which would have been backed up with me not being clean
As in teachers? Or who did you tell? and what was their response?
SassyP2000
Rep:
?
Yeah, teachers. They proceeded to contact my parents (who were the people causing the neglect) and nothing came of it
Anonymous #1
Report 9 months ago
Loads of solicitors offices offer 30 minute free appointments, so I’d get in touch with local law firms and see if they offer this
Randyyy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Why would you want to sue them?
TheTroll73
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
shouldn't you sue your parents, then?
London090
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I think your idea sounds ludicrous....
Here are a few of your problems:
1. You didn't outright tell people you were being neglected you told your teachers about a situation which occurred and they dealt with it the best they could.
2. What did you expect your teachers to do for you? Pull you out of your house and put you in a foster home?
3. Unless you were being physically beaten and you have photos of the marks you obtained you have absolutely no evidence to base your claims.
4. What do you think you're going to benefit from this?
ellieRx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
This makes me sad. We live in a society were professionals working with children and young adults are trained to spot such signs of neglect being small or big. You did mention you wasn’t being allowed to wash in which they should have already started to question why that is and Then to ring your parents? They don’t know what could be happening at home so that could have easily made it worse for you. I don’t think you could sue them but defiently could speak to someone higher like the school board or something.. as something should have been put in place to help you... take care.
ellieRx
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by London090)
1. You didn't outright tell people you were being neglected you told your teachers about a situation which occurred and they dealt with it the best they could.
2. What did you expect your teachers to do for you? Pull you out of your house and put you in a foster home?
3. Unless you were being physically beaten and you have photos of the marks you obtained you have absolutely no evidence to base your claims.
Think it’s quite easy for you to say all that as you’re not in that situation, neglect comes in many forms not just being beaten. Parents/careers can easily abuse their children- emotionally/physically/ mentally you don’t know what effect it is having on the person. So think before you write things.
London090
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by ellieRx)
Think it’s quite easy for you to say all that as you’re not in that situation, neglect comes in many forms not just being beaten. Parents/careers can easily abuse their children- emotionally/physically/ mentally you don’t know what effect it is having on the person. So think before you write things.
Ahhh well I'm so sorry I've hit a bad spot there I believe I have thought it out before I wrote it.

Yes obviously neglect comes in many different forms but unless you have physical evidence you won't win any case in court a personal account isn't reliable and everyone knows that especially if you don't have a witness to justify it. So you tell me whether you see a point in suing the school, the OP will just lose money it's not worth it.

Yes I agree that the situation is sad I've seen so many situations like this and the best one can do is try their best to move on and make a better life for themselves, what has anybody ever won by getting revenge?
ellieRx
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Ahhh well I'm so sorry I've hit a bad spot there I believe I have thought it out before I wrote it.

Yes obviously neglect comes in many different forms but unless you have physical evidence you won't win any case in court a personal account isn't reliable and everyone knows that especially if you don't have a witness to justify it. So you tell me whether you see a point in suing the school, the OP will just lose money it's not worth it.

Yes I agree that the situation is sad I've seen so many situations like this and the best one can do is try their best to move on and make a better life for themselves, what has anybody ever won by getting revenge?
I agree trying to sue the school isn’t the best idea but like I mentioned maybe speaking to someone in higher position such as the school board and well actually when professionals working with children are told something that comes under neglect they should never doubt what that child has said and still look into it..
Last edited by ellieRx; 9 months ago
katf
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
No, they didn't deal with it the best they could. There is no mention of making a report to social services, let alone actually doing something about it. And yes, ensuring that a child is kept safe is the number 1 priority. At the mention of neglect, social services should have acted immediately to investigate and if necessary remove the child. There evidence other than just photographs of marks, and types of abuse other than just physical abuse. There is proof that this school didn't have robust enough safeguarding mechanisms or training. It is not the responsibility of the child to report abuse, it is the responsibility of the professional to notice the signs. A child not being clean, and saying that they're not allowed to get washed should set off alarm bells. The fact that they didn't is concerning to say the least. They merely contacted parents, and didn't investigate further. That is not an appropriate response.
London090
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by katf)
No, they didn't deal with it the best they could. There is no mention of making a report to social services, let alone actually doing something about it. And yes, ensuring that a child is kept safe is the number 1 priority. At the mention of neglect, social services should have acted immediately to investigate and if necessary remove the child. There evidence other than just photographs of marks, and types of abuse other than just physical abuse. There is proof that this school didn't have robust enough safeguarding mechanisms or training. It is not the responsibility of the child to report abuse, it is the responsibility of the professional to notice the signs. A child not being clean, and saying that they're not allowed to get washed should set off alarm bells. The fact that they didn't is concerning to say the least. They merely contacted parents, and didn't investigate further. That is not an appropriate response.
Okay yes I do agree with your point which you have made, but you have also condoned the possibility that maybe the school isn't one of the best schools especially since it's public school and not private maybe the teachers weren't trained to spot the signs or they weren't trained on how to deal with a situation like this. I still do not understand why the OP should sue the school. I simply do not see the benefit.
katf
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Okay yes I do agree with your point which you have made, but you have also condoned the possibility that maybe the school isn't one of the best schools especially since it's public school and not private maybe the teachers weren't trained to spot the signs or they weren't trained on how to deal with a situation like this. I still do not understand why the OP should sue the school. I simply do not see the benefit.
If they didn't have adequate safeguarding training, OFSTED needs to carry out an urgent inspection and the school needs a change of leadership because they are neglecting their duty of care. Safeguarding training is mandatory not an optional extra, and robust safeguarding procedures are a necessity.

Without adequate safeguarding, children die. This is not hyperbole, it's fact. That's why there are cases like Baby P.
London090
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by katf)
If they didn't have adequate safeguarding training, OFSTED needs to carry out an urgent inspection and the school needs a change of leadership because they are neglecting their duty of care. Safeguarding training is mandatory not an optional extra, and robust safeguarding procedures are a necessity.

Without adequate safeguarding, children die. This is not hyperbole, it's fact. That's why there are cases like Baby P.
That is a valid point so why doesn't the OP just report the school and not sue them😂?
ellieRx
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
That is a valid point so why doesn't the OP just report the school and not sue them😂?
They obviously are confused on what to do next hence why they’ve come here and asked for advice, they’re not to know if sueing them is the right or wrong thing to do..
SassyP2000
Rep:
?
How would you go about reporting a school?
SassyP2000
Rep:
?
It isn’t, but having read through I feel my case may have potential and I’m having a meeting with a solicitor to talk about it to see if it has a chance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
10.81%
Disagree (3)
8.11%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.03%
Agree (12)
32.43%
Strongly Agree (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads