My life is falling apart lol Watch

Fletcher1405
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Help

The application deadline for Uni is mid-Jan, and I'm currently debating just having a year out because I'm so clueless on my next stages.

Originally my Uni search was for Film and TV/Film production degrees. Looking at York, Bournemouth arts and Salford, all different places but a similar course offered. Then I freaked out that film was too specific and I'd never actually MADE a film in my life, but working in media, production or anything along those lines really interests me, especially somewhere like the BBC... so I figured Film wasn't a bad place to look. So there's an option.

Then I went crazy and realised maybe Art is the place for me- I do art A-level, predicted an A* (hmmmmmm) I do love art. It's just... art graduates have a pretty pointless degree for the working world, and they're probably not very wealthy too. The ones who follow their dreams and make it however, are veeery wealthy (Goals). So I looked at Manchester Met uni and fell in love with Manchester.
I pretty much wanna be in Manchester I think.
Finally, at the end of this depressing trilogy of cluelessness, I have been thinking about Business Management degrees. Because money. Also, having money will maybe mean I could pursue art/film on the side but whilst living in a house and being able to pay the bills.Manchester Uni and also the Met do management degrees, so I'm pretty much set if I chose either. I also love a good party and going out so Manchester seems like the place for me!

I sound like a cynic but I've come to realise that despite my dreams and hopes for a creative life... the world doesn't really help with making a creative life easy. So is it best to pursue my dreams from the get go, and be poor and probably end up an Art/drama teacher. Or should I do business, potentially love it...potentially hate it & get a well paying job after and then see what happens from there.

Pretty much all the world famous film directors didn't have a film degree and I wouldn't say you need an art degree to be a renowned artist- but then again the connections built at Uni must help!

ANYONE GOT ANY ADVICE LOL I really wanna go to uni, I wouldn't mind a year off but I kind of want to just go and get started and meet new people and get out of my village!!!!
Wow... this was long and tragic.
Thanks!
maryam_g
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fletcher1405)
Help

The application deadline for Uni is mid-Jan, and I'm currently debating just having a year out because I'm so clueless on my next stages.

Originally my Uni search was for Film and TV/Film production degrees. Looking at York, Bournemouth arts and Salford, all different places but a similar course offered. Then I freaked out that film was too specific and I'd never actually MADE a film in my life, but working in media, production or anything along those lines really interests me, especially somewhere like the BBC... so I figured Film wasn't a bad place to look. So there's an option.

Then I went crazy and realised maybe Art is the place for me- I do art A-level, predicted an A* (hmmmmmm) I do love art. It's just... art graduates have a pretty pointless degree for the working world, and they're probably not very wealthy too. The ones who follow their dreams and make it however, are veeery wealthy (Goals). So I looked at Manchester Met uni and fell in love with Manchester.
Finally, at the end of this depressing trilogy of cluelessness, I have been thinking about Business Management degrees. Because money. Also, having money will maybe mean I could pursue art/film on the side but whilst living in a house and being able to pay the bills.Manchester Uni and also the Met do management degrees, so I'm pretty much set if I chose either. I also love a good party and going out so Manchester seems like the place for me!

I sound like a cynic but I've come to realise that despite my dreams and hopes for a creative life... the world doesn't really help with making a creative life easy. So is it best to pursue my dreams from the get go, and be poor and probably end up an Art/drama teacher. Or should I do business, potentially love it...potentially hate it & get a well paying job after and then see what happens from there.

Pretty much all the world famous film directors didn't have a film degree and I wouldn't say you need an art degree to be a renowned artist- but then again the connections built at Uni must help!

ANYONE GOT ANY ADVICE LOL I really wanna go to uni, I wouldn't mind a year off but I kind of want to just go and get started and meet new people and get out of my village!!!!
Thanks!
I won't be able to tell you what to do because that decision should ultimately be made by you, but here are my two cents:

It seems like you really love Manchester! That's great. You found a good uni that you fell in love with. That's a step towards the right direction. You still have a month to decide on your course. That gives you some time to research and find out what course is best for you. My advice is look into the coursework and modules of the courses you mentioned/are interested in. Rule out any that would probably make you miserable. (You won't be able to perform well if you hate your course, trust me.) Then look into the potential job opportunities that you might have if you take a particular course. (Research ALL options. Who knows, maybe you can do something you really love with your Business Management degree!) Last but not least, go with the course that will inspire you the most. If you're motivated and hardworking and love your course/uni/job/whatever, you WILL succeed in it. You can do something amazing with your degree if you're determined. Don't be too worried about not getting a job if you choose the 'wrong' course. Money is a factor, but it won't matter if you're rich and depressed.

If this all sounds too overwhelming, that's okay. Taking a gap year can be quite a useful experience if you spend it well! (Who knows, maybe you'll get to make that film you never got the chance to make.)

Also, definitely look into other unis you might be interested in! You have five spaces in your UCAS application after all...

Good luck!
kierapotato
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi!

I know what you are going through!!

Maybe about a year or so ago I was also having huge doubts on whether I should pursue my passion or go for something safe. It was honestly the most miserable I have been and I am so glad that I no longer have that huge stress on me.

GO FOR YOUR PASSION!

Seriously, from my own personal experience, I have been so much happier since choosing to go with what I am passionate about (design, so a creative subject such as yours) you will honestly feel so much better knowing that what you have chosen is what YOU want and not what others want for you, or how you envision your life being perfectly planned out, because you can't plan life, you cant 100% be sure that if you go into management that you will get a good job, because you will not be as passionate when applying to those types of jobs as maybe another candidate who is very passionate about it.

You were saying that there are some who do make it as a professional in the creative field but are quick to dismiss it, but who says this can't be you? If you have the work ethic and passion for the subject, who says you cannot go on to do great things, and then you will be happy because you will know that YOU chose it and it was right for you, and that gives you a goal!

Also have a proper look into the structure of the courses because I know the University of Edinburgh has a type of system where you have your assigned classes and then you are allowed to chose from ANYWHERE else in the university for other classes you can take alongside your proper degree classes, so you could take some business classes alongside your art or media degree, without the 100% committing to something that you just want to do for money.

But I must STRESS, do what is right for YOU, yes you can ask advice from mentors, parents, teachers etc, but in the end it will be you in those classes for 3+ years and then the rest of your life, if after this you still believe that a business degree is still the way forward then go for it.

But seriously, from choosing to pursue my passion I haven't doubted myself since, and I don't think you enjoy doubting yourself either.

Please keep me updated when you decide to choose.
Fletcher1405
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by kierapotato)
Hi!

I know what you are going through!!

Maybe about a year or so ago I was also having huge doubts on whether I should pursue my passion or go for something safe. It was honestly the most miserable I have been and I am so glad that I no longer have that huge stress on me.

GO FOR YOUR PASSION!

Seriously, from my own personal experience, I have been so much happier since choosing to go with what I am passionate about (design, so a creative subject such as yours) you will honestly feel so much better knowing that what you have chosen is what YOU want and not what others want for you, or how you envision your life being perfectly planned out, because you can't plan life, you cant 100% be sure that if you go into management that you will get a good job, because you will not be as passionate when applying to those types of jobs as maybe another candidate who is very passionate about it.

You were saying that there are some who do make it as a professional in the creative field but are quick to dismiss it, but who says this can't be you? If you have the work ethic and passion for the subject, who says you cannot go on to do great things, and then you will be happy because you will know that YOU chose it and it was right for you, and that gives you a goal!

Also have a proper look into the structure of the courses because I know the University of Edinburgh has a type of system where you have your assigned classes and then you are allowed to chose from ANYWHERE else in the university for other classes you can take alongside your proper degree classes, so you could take some business classes alongside your art or media degree, without the 100% committing to something that you just want to do for money.

But I must STRESS, do what is right for YOU, yes you can ask advice from mentors, parents, teachers etc, but in the end it will be you in those classes for 3+ years and then the rest of your life, if after this you still believe that a business degree is still the way forward then go for it.

But seriously, from choosing to pursue my passion I haven't doubted myself since, and I don't think you enjoy doubting yourself either.

Please keep me updated when you decide to choose.
Hey I've just seen this! Thankyou for the support it's really nice to have an outside opinion.
I've decided that I'm going to have a year out of education after my A-levels to travel, hopefully find some cool and useful work experience in the creative industry and figure out where I want to go next. I'm lucky enough to be in the position to take a year out, so I figure I should really investigate all the routes, not rush and go to as many bloody open days as I can next year ahaha!
Thankyou for helping
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fletcher1405)
Help

Thanks!
A Business degree doesn't automatically equal money. It doesn't make you jump the queue for a well paid job ahead of graduates of other disciplines. You would still need to get work experience and put together a strong application. Three years is also a long time to study something just because you want money.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (293)
26.11%
Yes - they're famous (283)
25.22%