The Student Room Group

Help gcses are killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jtkai
I left it very late, you’ve still got plenty of time. I don’t know anyone who was seriously revising around this time in the year. That doesn’t mean it’s bad to start now, but this isn’t starting late at all and you’ll be fine to get 9s if you revise effectively enough

so how many hours should i work a day
Reply 21
Original post by Sports10
so how many hours should i work a day

That's up to you. Spend a good few hours working out your weak points and strong points and organising a weekly timetable that gives you breaks between your revision periods and that allows you to improve on your weak points.
Reply 22
Original post by AbdulMZ
That's up to you. Spend a good few hours working out your weak points and strong points and organising a weekly timetable that gives you breaks between your revision periods and that allows you to improve on your weak points.

to make up for a late tart ill do 6+ hours a day and no im not being harsh on myself i wanna see what happens if i go ALL IN
Reply 23

which part of his message. he says a lot of stuff
Reply 24
Revision's a constant process. I never quite understood the question "When do you start revising?".
It's consistent effort and performance throughout year 10 and year 11 that gets you the best marks, not by cramming 3 months before.
Reply 25
to make up for a late tart ill do 6+ hours a day and no im not being harsh on myself i wanna see what happens if i go ALL IN

Careful you don’t burn out! 6 hours a day for several months isn’t very sustainable. I think a couple hours a day should be sufficient, you’ll have time for a little more at the weekend too.
Reply 26
Original post by Sinnoh
Revision's a constant process. I never quite understood the question "When do you start revising?".
It's consistent effort and performance throughout year 10 and year 11 that gets you the best marks, not by cramming 3 months before.

how about 6 monts before as then im screwed
Reply 27
Original post by AbdulMZ
which part of his message. he says a lot of stuff

all of it in general
Great idea
Reply 29

Original post by Sinnoh

how did u revise as im planning to learn everything i 6 months
Reply 30

Why not just test yourself on old topics every month, starting now?
Then when the actual exams get closer, just do past papers and self-mark.

(Self-review is a very important part of it and shouldn't be underestimated)
Reply 31

First of all. JAM. THAT. HYPE.

I'm just messing. Listen man, it isn't a late start, its a way early start. But anyways, if you go all in from now, you will literally start burning up in a few weeks and would have drained all of your energy and eventually you get tired and can't work anymore.

Instead, start with a low number of hours then gradually increase.

Going all in doesn't help in fact, if you work for a long period of time continuously, you do worse. In a weekday, I would say 4 hours max. In the weekend, 6 hours each day max.
Reply 32
Original post by Sinnoh
Why not just test yourself on old topics every month, starting now?
Then when the actual exams get closer, just do past papers and self-mark.

(Self-review is a very important part of it and shouldn't be underestimated)

am i late though how have u been revising im stressing man
Reply 33

You are not late trusssst me
Reply 34
Original post by AbdulMZ
First of all. JAM. THAT. HYPE.

I'm just messing. Listen man, it isn't a late start, its a way early start. But anyways, if you go all in from now, you will literally start burning up in a few weeks and would have drained all of your energy and eventually you get tired and can't work anymore.

Instead, start with a low number of hours then gradually increase.

Going all in doesn't help in fact, if you work for a long period of time continuously, you do worse. In a weekday, I would say 4 hours max. In the weekend, 6 hours each day max.

this is the problem with modern teens they dont go all in - im doing this not for a grade ill happily get all 2s but work my life off as i would know i dis all i could
Reply 35
Original post by AbdulMZ
You are not late trusssst me

the guy above me started from yr 10

Original post by Sinnoh
For all you GCSE lot. I didn't revise a day for my GCSE's, And still managed to get into a decent 6th form. While I don't recommend doing no revision for a second, I wouldn't worry about it till march at the earliest
Reply 37
Original post by Xenon009
For all you GCSE lot. I didn't revise a day for my GCSE's, And still managed to get into a decent 6th form. While I don't recommend doing no revision for a second, I wouldn't worry about it till march at the earliest

I DONT CARE

this is the problem with modern teens they dont go all in - im doing this not for a grade ill happily get all 2s but work my life off as i would know i did all i could

look what i said u guys r so soft man up
Reply 38

How did I revise?
I took GCSEs in 2017. When study leave started in late April/May I started doing past papers either daily or close to it. Before then, we'd been doing a bunch of revision at school at the end of the spring term because we'd finished all the content. I wasn't stressed, because I was certain I was going to do well, as long as I practised. I didn't bang out - you were thinking of doing 6 hours a day? That's so unnecessary. When teachers suggested that we do 60 hours revision for our mock exams I straight-up laughed.

Don't think about this in terms of "being late". Don't even think along those lines. GCSEs are a work in progress. So just pay attention in lessons, do the normal amount of homework, practise your weak areas and most importantly,
really get it into your head that doing this is beneficial. Every time you find a weak area of yours, it's a good sign. Why? Because it means you found it out and can improve.
Even just discussing before each exam was helpful. If you can, revise with other people and pool your knowledge.
Reply 39
Original post by Sinnoh
How did I revise?
I took GCSEs in 2017. When study leave started in late April/May I started doing past papers either daily or close to it. Before then, we'd been doing a bunch of revision at school at the end of the spring term because we'd finished all the content. I wasn't stressed, because I was certain I was going to do well, as long as I practised. I didn't bang out - you were thinking of doing 6 hours a day? That's so unnecessary. When teachers suggested that we do 60 hours revision for our mock exams I straight-up laughed.

Don't think about this in terms of "being late". Don't even think along those lines. GCSEs are a work in progress. So just pay attention in lessons, do the normal amount of homework, practise your weak areas and most importantly,
really get it into your head that doing this is beneficial. Every time you find a weak area of yours, it's a good sign. Why? Because it means you found it out and can improve.
Even just discussing before each exam was helpful. If you can, revise with other people and pool your knowledge.

so u paced urself i didnt and i wannaa learn everything u just cared about the grade that why im gonna outwork everybody

Quick Reply

Latest