The Student Room Group

Want to be a vet but never ridden a horse?

I know I sound like an idiot right now, but I’ve got equine work experience lined up for the Christmas break with a vet, however I’m terrified as I’ve never ridden a horse nor handled one in the past, mostly because my financial situation and location never gave me a chance. I’m scared he’s going to think I’m a nutter for choosing equine work experience, but it was the closest to large animal I could get. Will I be alright do you think? Any tips?

Also, I see people applying for vet med who have been riding all their lives and practically grew up on a farm - don’t know how I’ll compete with them :-O
Original post by petsfurrypaws
I know I sound like an idiot right now, but I’ve got equine work experience lined up for the Christmas break with a vet, however I’m terrified as I’ve never ridden a horse nor handled one in the past, mostly because my financial situation and location never gave me a chance. I’m scared he’s going to think I’m a nutter for choosing equine work experience, but it was the closest to large animal I could get. Will I be alright do you think? Any tips?

Also, I see people applying for vet med who have been riding all their lives and practically grew up on a farm - don’t know how I’ll compete with them :-O

Just be honest about your lack of equine experience with the vet and you'll be fine :smile: That's the whole point of experience, just be willing to learn.

Don't worry about competing with those that grew up on farms either, it doesn't necessarily make them better applicants, just like being the offspring of a vet doesn't necessarily make anyone better either, in fact it can be a disadvantage.
I've never ridden a horse, still carried out multiple equine placements and in vet school.

To be honest it isn't always a disadvantage. While initially knowing horse behaviour and handling won't come as naturally to you as them - you also haven't had a lifetime of false horse remedies shoved down your throat :wink:
No Manuka honey and sudocrem don't solve everything... who would have guessed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending