The Student Room Group

Met police fear violent clashes over march by far-right 'Brexit Betrayal' militant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AperfectBalance
"There is virtually no far-right movement in Britain"
Calling the BNP or EDL a big movement is silly, it would be like calling me and my friends going on holiday a mass migration.

So people cannot be enemies of the people?

BNP were a large group, the EDL was reasonably sizable. What about the Jo Cox murder or the Darren Osborne case? No you're right, no such thing as far right in the UK.

So judges are enemies of the people for making a correct legal decision? Right, so judges should ignore the law?

Calling someone that is an obvious incitement to violence.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Almost as though Antifa is actually short for "anti-fascist"...

Who act like facist brown shirts
Original post by DSilva
BNP were a large group, the EDL was reasonably sizable. What about the Jo Cox murder or the Darren Osborne case? No you're right, no such thing as far right in the UK.

So judges are enemies of the people for making a correct legal decision? Right, so judges should ignore the law?

You might want to read his comment to you and stop assuming what he’s said
Original post by DSilva

I dislike you for making me look up the membership numbers of these Damn groups but if we're generous we can put it at an estimate of 30k people (for both) which out of the 65 million people living in the UK is what 0.05%?
Which makes it far more likely that someone would have a rare disease (At ~6% of the population having one) than be far-right.
Original post by DSilva

virtually
virtually
virtually
virtually
virtually
virtually

That might help you with reading comprehension both parties have hardly any support.

that decision being correct is an opinion, one that I think is gravely wrong
Original post by Fujoshi
I dislike you for making me look up the membership numbers of these Damn groups but if we're generous we can put it at an estimate of 30k people (for both) which out of the 65 million people living in the UK is what 0.05%?
Which makes it far more likely that someone would have a rare disease (At ~6% of the population having one) than be far-right.

The bnp has something like 300 members
Original post by paul514
The bnp has something like 300 members

I was going off the very upper end of their possible membership which according to Wikipedia they've claimed they've got 3000 with the EDL having a membership estimated at ~25000 (Idk how accurate that is though) considering that DSilva is the type to get worked up over the far-right they probably won't accept conservative estimates. But yeah the actual membership it's probably a lot lower.
Reply 27
Original post by AperfectBalance
virtually
virtually
virtually
virtually
virtually
virtually

That might help you with reading comprehension both parties have hardly any support.

that decision being correct is an opinion, one that I think is gravely wrong

Ah okay. So the fact there existed sizable far right groups means there is virtually no far-rigjt movement. Got it.

I'm still wondering why you think it's acceptable to call judges enemies of the people for making a correct legal decision.
Original post by Fujoshi
I was going off the very upper end of their possible membership which according to Wikipedia they've claimed they've got 3000 with the EDL having a membership estimated at ~25000 (Idk how accurate that is though) considering that DSilva is the type to get worked up over the far-right they probably won't accept conservative estimates. But yeah the actual membership it's probably a lot lower.

I’d be surprised if together there was 3000 of them.
Reply 29
Original post by Fujoshi

Over half a million votes in 2010 and almost a million votes in the 2009 European elections. But nah you're right, was just a couple of people.
Lets hope they can behave themselves and we dont see looting, vandalism and violence.
Original post by DSilva
Over half a million votes in 2010 and almost a million votes in the 2009 European elections. But nah you're right, was just a couple of people.

Votes not members and that was a decade ago, most of that support went to UKIP because they wanted out of the EU as their aim not ‘racism’ as their aim.

The BNP got 4642 votes in the 2017 general election.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by paul514
Votes not members and that was a decade ago, most of that support went to UKIP because they wanted out of the EU as their aim not ‘racism’ as their aim.

The BNP got 4642 votes in the 2017 general election.

I would say 1 million votes for a far right party less than ten years ago disproves the guys point that there hasn't been a far right movement in generations.
Original post by Trinculo
Anything that the left doesn't like is automatically "the far-right".

There is virtually no far-right movement in Britain, nor has there been for generations - it's just a handy bogeyman for anything that people don't like.

Both the Conservatives and UKIP are far right though?

https://www.politicalcompass.org/uk2017
Original post by DSilva
I would say 1 million votes for a far right party less than ten years ago disproves the guys point that there hasn't been a far right movement in generations.

Well reality would say you are wrong, 1 million down to less than 5000 votes that less than half a percent of the vote you are citing.

Where did the votes go?

Simple answer is UKIP.

A Mr Nigel Farage become leader in November 2010 and their voters flocked to the party because really what they wanted was out of the EU and the BNP were left with the real supporters of the far right.

Notice how I use the term supporters not members of the far right.

This means they are complicit in their support of their ideas but they don’t go around advocating them as a member does.

Like I previously mention the BNP’s membership today is thought to number around 300 people.

You have just been owned, recognise it rather than repeating the same rubbish that you have to people who have replied to you already.
Original post by paul514
Well reality would say you are wrong, 1 million down to less than 5000 votes that less than half a percent of the vote you are citing.

Where did the votes go?

Simple answer is UKIP.

A Mr Nigel Farage become leader in November 2010 and their voters flocked to the party because really what they wanted was out of the EU and the BNP were left with the real supporters of the far right.

Notice how I use the term supporters not members of the far right.

This means they are complicit in their support of their ideas but they don’t go around advocating them as a member does.

Like I previously mention the BNP’s membership today is thought to number around 300 people.

You have just been owned, recognise it rather than repeating the same rubbish that you have to people who have replied to you already.

PRSOM
The problem, if there is one, comes from those who do not want the march to take place. I've never even looked up anything on Tommy or said a word in here about him but it is too easy to 'hijack' the event and use that card to de-legitimise it and also justify going down there and throw things at people exercising a democratic right. Not sure of who organized the march, was it UKIP? If it was, so what?

There is a bit of an issue with the nature of 'counter-protesting', how much of it should be tolerated when levelled at someone doing it by the book? Not much, in my opinion. Are we even sure that is legal?
Original post by DSilva

Stop moving the goal posts you mentioned the bnp and edl not UKIP (which is arguable as to whether you can classify UKIP as being in the same bed as actual extremist far-right groups but anyway.)
Also being vague just makes you seem disingenuous rather than helping your side.
Original post by Trinculo
Anything that the left doesn't like is automatically "the far-right".

There is virtually no far-right movement in Britain, nor has there been for generations - it's just a handy bogeyman for anything that people don't like.

Tommy Robinson isn't far-right? Where would you place him? Centrist?
Reply 39
Original post by Fujoshi
Stop moving the goal posts you mentioned the bnp and edl not UKIP (which is arguable as to whether you can classify UKIP as being in the same bed as actual extremist far-right groups but anyway.)
Also being vague just makes you seem disingenuous rather than helping your side.

Those figures quoted were for the BNP. Not UKIP. I have not mentioned UKIP in this thread at all. Nor have I called UKIP far right.

So yes, 1 million people voted for a right party but yeah you're right, it was just a couple of people wasn't it? I mean yeah they may have denied the Holocaust and banned black people joining but it's just snowflakes who would call that far right isn't it?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending