The Student Room Group

Advice on choosing A-Levels plss

Hey!
I want to take quite a few a-levels but I'm not sure what to pick or what the subjects are really like so any suggestions would be great.
The subjects I am thinking of taking are:
Maths
Computer Science
Physics
Psychology
Electronics
Biology
and a small part of me wants to do some form of art, despite the absolute hell GCSE graphics was, still have to finish all three projects :/ )
I was seriously considering Maths, computing and physics but don't know if this would be too much.
Reply 1
I think maths, computer science and physics is a solid combo. Fairly common, too.
Reply 2
thanks Sinnoh, I've had a few funny looks from people at school along the lines of "why would u do that to yourself" when they have asked (I don't even think anyone else is taking computing :/ ) I'm just unsure about whether I'm going to be happy taking these subjects or whether trying a new subject like psychology might be better.
I was also confused about how many A-Levels you can take as I'm getting mixed messages from both school and friends
If you want to ruin yourself, take art.
Reply 4
Original post by Guarddyyy
If you want to ruin yourself, take art.

Already suffered through GCSE art but it started going really well the last project as it had a really broad topic, unlike the other two before it (WHICH WERE ABSOLUtE HELL AND I STILL AINT DONE tHEM)
I was hoping it got better but if it is still terrible Im not going to, thanks for the warning!!!
Reply 5
I take Biology and think it's a good subject as long as you have a genuine interest in it. There's a lot of content and the mark schemes are very particular so that means a lot of practice questions. I think it depends on what you want to do at university/ in the future also so maybe do some research on the best subjects for your future aspirations?
I started out year 12 with psychology as an AS subject so I would have taken an exam at the end of my first year and then not continued the subject into year thirteen. I don't actually know if you will be able to do that because it might depend on the school/ college and they've changed the way they do A Levels as well. Anyway I eventually dropped psychology because four a levels was too much for me personally. I found psychology really interesting as a subject but I just wasn't too keen on every aspect of it. There's a lot of evaluation things you have to know about which I didn't like. It's also an essay based subject so take that into consideration as well :smile:
Reply 6
thanks azelia, I didn't realize you could choose to do a one-year course instead of the whole thing. that might be a good idea actually as the other subjects are all tested in the second year now and I find psychology fascinating but I would struggle with four I think. I think I should probably ask my bio teacher whats in the course as some aspects of the subject I find really interesting and others not so much.

Quick Reply

Latest