?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
This is a third bump.
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Maybe try searching through and asking in computer science / York threads for your answer if you’re not managing to find anyone here. 👍🏻
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Nabz99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello, I understand that this is a late reply, but as a first-year computer science student, I could help with any specific questions you have about the course. One thing you might like to know is that unlike a lot of other comp sci departments in the country, York focuses on both hardware and software, instead of just software. They presume no prior knowledge of Comp Sci, but they move on pretty fast, so i'd suggest doing some reading after your exams to ensure that you have some basic understanding of what's going on. The first year walks you through the basic concepts of hard/software. Then you have the option to focus on either software or hardware depending on which you prefer in the first year.
set8888
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I applied to CS at York too, so thank you for this thread
Jackudy3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Nabz99)
Hello, I understand that this is a late reply, but as a first-year computer science student, I could help with any specific questions you have about the course. One thing you might like to know is that unlike a lot of other comp sci departments in the country, York focuses on both hardware and software, instead of just software. They presume no prior knowledge of Comp Sci, but they move on pretty fast, so i'd suggest doing some reading after your exams to ensure that you have some basic understanding of what's going on. The first year walks you through the basic concepts of hard/software. Then you have the option to focus on either software or hardware depending on which you prefer in the first year.
Is there a lot of hands on stuff on the hardware side? Not really my thing but I could get on with it if there wasn't too much.
Nabz99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jackudy3)
Is there a lot of hands on stuff on the hardware side? Not really my thing but I could get on with it if there wasn't too much.
There's 3 different hardware modules this year. I'm not sure if this will be the same for the next year(I assume it will be). One is computer Architectures, 2nd is electronics and the last is related to microcontrollers. There's usually a lab session at the end of the week after the lectures where you apply the knowledge you've gained so yes there is a hands-on approach with hardware. The same for almost every other module. You have lectures and then practicals/problem classes where you apply your knowledge. But for the hardware labs, each one usually has a few assessed tasks which are handed in at the end of the term and this amounts for 20/25 % of that modules grade. You have a lab partner so it's not just you working alone on this. But the exam at the end of the year is a closed book one you sit alone. Hope this helps.
Also, I think I was wrong about york being a rare case when it comes to focusing on hardware and software. I think quite a few other universities do this as well. Though if you decide that hardware isn't really for you, you can choose software as the focus for your 2nd year. You should remember that first year doesn't count for your final degree classification. However if you're thinking of a year in the industry, then the first year grades are looked at and they must be above the minimum requirements for you to be eligible for the year in industry, So if you really hate hardware but don't want a year in industry, then definitely give it a shot, but if you want that year in industry then think about somewhere that doesn't teach hardware because you don't want your industry option to be ruined because of your first year hardware module results. But i will also say that i don't like hardware but i think that you'll be fine because the content isn't that hard.
Let me know if you have anything else you want to know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of York
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University of York
    Sun, 30 Jun '19
  • University of York
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (162)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (86)
9.89%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (145)
16.67%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (125)
14.37%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (84)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (268)
30.8%

Watched Threads