The Student Room Group

RAF

I’m currently in the application process for joining the RAF. Ive recently just passed my medical and I am due to do my first fitness test in January (due to there not being any availability in December) My applications been fairly quick so far although I’m looking for a rough idea of how long it usually takes from say the first fitness test to day 1 of basic? (I am also from Northern Ireland if that makes any difference)
Hi

The entire application process can take anywhere between 3-9 months, it will all depend on the role you've applied for and when as it will be worked back from your possible phase two training intake. Your AFCO will keep you fully informed at each stage of the process with regards to dates etc. The important thing is to make sure you're ready for each stage and maintain things like fitness (it's easy to slip over Christmas, for example) as you'll be fitness tested again for PRTC/Fam Visit depending on whether you've applied for an Airmen/woman or Officer role.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 2
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

The entire application process can take anywhere between 3-9 months, it will all depend on the role you've applied for and when as it will be worked back from your possible phase two training intake. Your AFCO will keep you fully informed at each stage of the process with regards to dates etc. The important thing is to make sure you're ready for each stage and maintain things like fitness (it's easy to slip over Christmas, for example) as you'll be fitness tested again for PRTC/Fam Visit depending on whether you've applied for an Airmen/woman or Officer role.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Thank you!!
Reply 3
I'm currently filling in my exercise diary that was said was necessary from my medical appointment.

Once I finish my 3 months doing that and sent the diary off, does anyone know how long it roughly takes for them to get back to me? Also how long the notice is for the fitness test?
Original post by PremN98
I'm currently filling in my exercise diary that was said was necessary from my medical appointment.

Once I finish my 3 months doing that and sent the diary off, does anyone know how long it roughly takes for them to get back to me? Also how long the notice is for the fitness test?

Hi

It will depend on a few different factors, you'll be advised as soon as it has been. You should be prepared for the fitness test in advance. It will happen within a few days of your medical.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 5
Hi

It will depend on a few different factors, you'll be advised as soon as it has been. You should be prepared for the fitness test in advance. It will happen within a few days of your medical.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Hi

That helps a lot, thank you.

Also do you have any tips for the fitness test on the day, as in what to eat, drink etc? As I'm not sure also if I can change my speed on the treadmill, or if I have to stay at a certain speed.

Many thanks
Original post by PremN98
Hi

That helps a lot, thank you.

Also do you have any tips for the fitness test on the day, as in what to eat, drink etc? As I'm not sure also if I can change my speed on the treadmill, or if I have to stay at a certain speed.

Many thanks

Hi

Only you know what helps you with regards to eating/drinking/training etc. ;-) Which role have you applied for? It's likely you'll be set on the treadmill by the instructor and they'll set a speed that will mean you pass the test, but you can alter it, but that's your decision, don't set something that's too quick and then you run out of steam before the end etc. But you'll know how you're feeling and what you're capable of from training etc.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 7
A PT at my local gym recommended skittles before my test, don't know if they worked but I passed so I guess so😂
Reply 8
Hi

I literally just try and have some protein and a lot of carbs just before.

This is fine for me, but if there's like anything else that would give me an extra boost that I need for the test then that'd be great.

I've applied for aircraft engineer (mechanical).

Also what order do you do parts of the test in, as in the treadmill first, then the push ups and sit ups, or the other way around?

Thanks
Hi

Only you know what helps you with regards to eating/drinking/training etc. ;-) Which role have you applied for? It's likely you'll be set on the treadmill by the instructor and they'll set a speed that will mean you pass the test, but you can alter it, but that's your decision, don't set something that's too quick and then you run out of steam before the end etc. But you'll know how you're feeling and what you're capable of from training etc.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Original post by PremN98
Hi

This is fine for me, but if there's like anything else that would give me an extra boost that I need for the test then that'd be great.

Also what order do you do parts of the test in, as in the treadmill first, then the push ups and sit ups, or the other way around?

Thanks

Run, push, sit.
Original post by PremN98
Hi

Thanks

The run is always first. I was asked what order I wanted to do the sit-ups or press ups. I suspect this will be different at PRTC though!
I was run first then choice between push ups or sit ups first
Reply 12
Hi,

I’ve just passed my fitness test a few weeks ago (Valentine’s Day to be exact)
The run was first and I believe this will always be the case by the looks of things. Our treadmills were in Km and we were advised to run at a speed of around 13.5km/ph-14.00km/ph to pass so we set the pace ourselves. This may not be the case everywhere but thats how it was done with with mine. The pushups and sit ups we didn’t have a choice on what we done first, in my case it was Pushups and then sit ups but again, may not be the case where you are.

Quick Reply

Latest