Psychology Help! Watch

NicoleBoat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I want to become a psychologist and I want to take Psychology A-levels, But Ive read alot about people not enjoying the course, That its really essay-based and its really hard, Can someome help please and tell me how it is taking Psychology A-levels.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes it is hard and essay based. But put in the work and you'll do well.
byeongkwans
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It depends on what you're good at, don't convince yourself that it's going to be hard before you even try it. I took psychology at GCSE, A-level and now I'm doing a bachelors degree in psychology.

Essay writing can always be improved over time, it's a skill you'll gain the more you do it. Psychology involves a lot of memorisation (knowing key studies) as well as evaluation and applications of these into real life settings.

The topics we studied for A-level AQA psychology were: social influence, attachment, memory, biopsychology, psychopathology, approaches to psychology, issues and debates in psychological & research methods. My optional A2 topics were: cognition and development, schizophrenia and addiction.

I recommend reading into some of those topics to see if the content actually interests you. It's very boring to learn if you're not interested in it. Keep in mind that there's a fair bit of biology and maths involved in psychology too. With biology it's mainly around neuroscience, the brain and nervous system. With maths it's mainly averages, graphs, measures of dispersion and some statistical tests.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (50)
15.11%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (28)
8.46%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (63)
19.03%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (51)
15.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (39)
11.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (100)
30.21%

Watched Threads