Problems with my part time job

Watch
Zeldaa_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My friend had been working in a little fish and chips restaurant since the start of this year, and she managed to get me a part time job working there as they needed some more help on the weekends. So I’ve been working there now since 10th September so 3 months, and I absolutely hate it. I’m quite slow when it comes to learning new things and it takes me a while to get things right, and I know my boss gets very annoyed with me. I try my hardest, but I just feel like I’m not good enough. I’m fine at the waitressing part, serving and taking orders and making drinks etc but my boss always says I need to be doing more, for example when it’s not busy he says I need to plate up the food, and when people order things such as rice, pies and foods that include breads (basically what the fryers can’t do) I need to go to the back and do it myself. As I mentioned I am very slow, and I don’t like to get things wrong so I am very conscious of everything I do. I’ll give some examples now of why I dokt enjoy working there. So about a month ago a table of 8 came in, and tbey had to sit on separate tables as there weren’t tables enough to cater to them all. So my friend took the first tables order, and I took the other tables order. The chefs made 6 out of the 8 meals, and i took all of the plates over. I noticed 2 people on the table that my friend took the order of didn’t have any food but as I didnt take the order I assumed they mustn’t have wanted anything. Anyway I went back to the kitchen and the order papers had been put into the pot (which means all orders are completed as have been taken out to the customers) anyway about 3 minutes later my friend realises 2 people dokt have their meals and she said they definitely did order, and then my boss started raising his voice at me saying when I took the orders over I should have noticed two people didjf have their meals, I tried to explain I didjf take their orders therefore I thought by not having a meal, they didnt order one. He can be quite aggressive when he speaks, and he ended up making me cry in the middle of the restaurant as I genuinely felt like it wasn’t my fault. Because firstly, why did one of the chefs put down the order slip when two meals weren’t done, and secondly, why didn’t my friend get any blame when she took the order of that table so she would have known 2 more people needed meals. I took the blame for the fact I shouldn’t have assumed they mustn’t have ordered anything, but was it all really completely my fault? He felt bad when I started to cry, and let me go on my break and I thought he would be a bit nicer with me from then on, which he was at first.. So that was mid October, and I just feel like he has something against me. I was working yesterday and a woman asked for a take out meal and a meal to stay in for her mum. Take out meals cost less so I had to work out how much the total was in my head as my till machine was only for staying in food, anyway I ended up over charging her, which I apologised for as it was my fault, she was very understanding but I had already cashed the amount I overcharged her for, so the till was up £16 but obviously no £16 was in there. It was quite busy and I had a table of 6 to take orders for so I couldn’t tell the boss at that moment, so skip to about half an hour later I told him what happened, how I had cashed in the extra £16 by accident, and he looked at me, and went “well if you’re saying £16 is missing to me it looks like you have taken it. You should have told me earlier.” And he pointed to the cameras and went I can watch it and see what happened and I was in absolute shock. He genuinely just accused me of stealing money. My eyes welled up because I was so upset that he thought I would do that, and I said watch the footage on CCTV because I haven’t taken any money, I wouldn’t do that. He kept going on about how I should have told him earlier but I was so upset I kind of just blocked it out. Anyway I think one of my colleagues felt sorry for me as when I went to the back go get someone’s ice cream he asked if I was okay and reassured me that the shift was nearly over and we could all go home soon. I just feel like everything I do is wrong, and I feel like I dokt fit in. He even said to me I was the weakest member of staff, but I’m so anxious to do extra things incase he criticises me for it. I’m at a complete loss, and he doesn’t talk to any other member of staff the way he does to me. I admit I am a bit slower, but I am really trying my hardest. Should I quit? Forgot to mention I also get regularly underpaid as he doesn’t clock me in and out correctly. I did 9 hours last week and only got £32 when usually I get £45.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Id definitely speak to your boss about being underpaid. He shouldnt be doing that. Keep a record of all hours worked, how many hours you are actually paid for etc. Take it further if need be (speak to the CAB or ACAS).
If you arent happy working there id look for another job. It should be easier to get another job as you already have one.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd look for another job, this one just doesn't fit you. As Emma says, it's easier to get one when you already have one.

A trouble with working for small places is often yr wages are paid right out the bosses pocket as they own it, so they tend to get a bit misery. Considering it's indy fast food retail, they need speed and as you say, you're slow and learn slowly, I can empathize with you trying but I can see how that just won't be good enough for them, chippies tend to have high temp staff turnover, it's a pretty crap job. To be honest it DOES sound like yr boss now has it in for you as it's just not working out (tbh see the thing with the 2 folk not getting meals, aye you didn't cause the error, but an attentive server should have noticed this, people waiting for their food and people not waiting for food tend look very different.)
Last edited by StriderHort; 2 years ago
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Being underpaid you should be bringing up as that isn't right.
The group of 8 thing- really you should have taken the initiative to ask if the other two were waiting on any food as you should be checking that everyone has what they require but that can't be changed now.
Your friend has been working there much longer which is why she probably didn't get any blame.

Doesn't sound like it's really the right job for you
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Your friend has been working there much longer which is why she probably didn't get any blame.
I think Chefs are notorious for blaming the person right in front of them, they have no interest in the past.
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sounds like you were wrong in both those situations tbh. You need to be a bit more resilient so you can learn more.

However you should ask for money you're not paid, that's not ok.

And no harm looking for another job, you might find something you're better suited to or a more caring manager.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you sure those 9 hours doesn't include a break? Most places give staff unpaid breaks

You're learning and you'll get better as time goes on. If you want to leave, leave. You have some experience working in the food industry so getting another job should be easier than your first. Things like using your initiative a bit more (double checking if the two people without food had ordered any etc) are all part of the experience, don't stress.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.16%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.43%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.09%
Financial worries (60)
6.72%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.06%

Watched Threads