The Student Room Group

Oxford application

So I just visited oxford, Magdalen College for an interview in Spanish and Beginners’ Portuguese. Honestly, I had an amazing experience from meeting amazing people to great interviews. My interviews honestly felt so good. I was able to show my passion and they seemed very impressed but I’m honestly worried that my AAB predicted grades are going to ruin my entire application.

I literally want nothing more than to go to oxford now and I am so frightened of rejection and I feel like my predicted grades will ruin everything I’ve done. I can’t stop thinking about this.

Any advice?
Your predicted grades COULD affect whether you get in or not... If you get the grades but you were rejected then you can reapply the following year
Even though you're understandably worried, there's absolutely nothing you can do now to change whether you get an offer or not. The only thing you can do right now is keep working hard on your A levels or other work, since you'll be devastated if you get an offer then fail to make the grades for it.
Nothing can change your application now, and worrying will only make things worse down the line, so what's the point?
Original post by Frankie01230
So I just visited oxford, Magdalen College for an interview in Spanish and Beginners’ Portuguese. Honestly, I had an amazing experience from meeting amazing people to great interviews. My interviews honestly felt so good. I was able to show my passion and they seemed very impressed but I’m honestly worried that my AAB predicted grades are going to ruin my entire application.

I literally want nothing more than to go to oxford now and I am so frightened of rejection and I feel like my predicted grades will ruin everything I’ve done. I can’t stop thinking about this.

Any advice?

On the Oxford website the MINIMUM grades required were an AAA which is more demanding than your predicted grades.... I wish you the best of luck but as I said, if you got rejected because of your predicted grades then reapply next year assuming that you get the A level grades to get an unconditional offer. Bare in mind that rarely anyone is guaranteed a place at Oxford because it's typically a conditional offer, no matter how good you did in GCSEs.... You will only get guaranteed places if you have already done the A levels which match or exceed the requirements.

Here are the requirements for your course: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/modern-languages?wssl=1 (Click on "Requirements")
Original post by Yr_11_MATHS
On the Oxford website the MINIMUM grades required were an AAA which is more demanding than your predicted grades.... I wish you the best of luck but as I said, if you got rejected because of your predicted grades then reapply next year assuming that you get the A level grades to get an unconditional offer. Bare in mind that rarely anyone is guaranteed a place at Oxford because it's typically a conditional offer, no matter how good you did in GCSEs.... You will only get guaranteed places if you have already done the A levels which match or exceed the requirements.

Here are the requirements for your course: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/modern-languages?wssl=1 (Click on "Requirements")

They would’ve seen my predicted grades before getting an interview so surely they can’t reject me purely off my predicted grades?
Original post by Frankie01230
They would’ve seen my predicted grades before getting an interview so surely they can’t reject me purely off my predicted grades?

Precisely! so dont give yourself a hard time over predicted grades! The tutors clearly saw potential in your pre-interview application; they then invited you. and you did well.
You chose Magdalen (which is a reputably compteative college) and they chose you for interview. even if you got pooled the fact they accepted your application is a very promising sign. The quality of applicants is pretty much alwasy high - and still they offere you interview and may make you an offer.
All you need to do is get those grades. [Repeat!] "All I need to do is to get those grades" :-)

In short those predicated grades have not "ruined" anything! Actually you got an offer for interview. Going from AAA-AAB is not that hard at all. If needs be treat yourself to a private tutor for areas you can improve on in that B grade subject. Or use internet material etc.

Hope this helps. Cheer up; you've done well so far!
Hope you get in! :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending