Ami.x:
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, Im 16 and currently in my last year of high school doing my GCSEs. I am a christian and attend church regularly. I am just curious to know, if somebody came up to you in school/college and asked to pray for you, how would you react? Would you be open to it? Are you an athiest or do you have a religion?
username2861570
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not religious but I do consider myself spiritual. If someone came up to me and asked, I'd be more than happy to allow them.

My belief is that prayer is just a way of talking to the universe.
Kayb7893
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am a muslim and, yeah, definitely, i would be open to it. I generally pray for people most of the time - i feel good afterwards, i would absolutely love it if someone prayed for me.
ZombieTheWolf
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
they asked to pray for me? I would be like, why are you praying for me? I am fine and everything in my life is fine.

On the other hand, when I looked like I was struggling and peoole came up to me and said, "I will keep you in my prayers" I felt very flattered and it was very sweet of them to think about me. Despite me not bejng religious.

Do you mean pray for them as in pray instead of them? I would be pretty offended. Why do you think you know better than me? I would feel like you are forcing the idea that I should be praying, because I am perfectly capable of doing it myself and have decided against it (I wouldn't pray in assemblies or during registration despite being told to, it was my conscious decision. I attended a religious school, and I was happy that they respected my decision).
That is my genuine reponse.
Ami.x:
Rep:
?
(Original post by JoshDarnIt)
I'm not religious but I do consider myself spiritual. If someone came up to me and asked, I'd be more than happy to allow them.

My belief is that prayer is just a way of talking to the universe.
Yeah, thats cool.
lucie306
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't follow any particular religion but I am agnostic when it comes to the idea of God. If someone wanted to pray for me I wouldn't mind if they did. I feel a lot of the time the motive behind prayer is pure so it wouldn't bother me.
Ami.x:
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kayb7893)
I am a muslim and, yeah, definitely, i would be open to it. I generally pray for people most of the time - i feel good afterwards, i would absolutely love it if someone prayed for me.
I would love to have the confidence to pray for people at my school but I havent quite got it because I am worried they would say no, but it is amazing that you feel strong enough to do that x
UWS
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's one of the things I loathe the most about religion. I don't want random people throwing their religious beliefs or practices onto me. By all means you can pray for me in your own head, just don't get me involved directly.
nekoremusic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's kind of weird to have someone randomly approach you like that, what would they be praying for?
I'd probably thank them to be polite. I think it's a pretty useless gesture, though if they actually have faith then I guess it's nice that they care about other people.
Ami.x:
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZombieTheWolf)
they asked to pray for me? I would be like, why are you praying for me? I am fine and everything in my life is fine.

On the other hand, when I looked like I was struggling and peoole came up to me and said, "I will keep you in my prayers" I felt very flattered and it was very sweet of them to think about me. Despite me not bejng religious.

Do you mean pray for them as in pray instead of them? I would be pretty offended. Why do you think you know better than me? I would feel like you are forcing the idea that I should be praying, because I am perfectly capable of doing it myself and have decided against it (I wouldn't pray in assemblies or during registration despite being told to, it was my conscious decision. I attended a religious school, and I was happy that they respected my decision).
That is my genuine reponse.
I can understand where you are coming from. If I was going to pray for someone it would be my close friend and I would probs ask them in a way that didnt make it seem like I was praying for them but that I was praying with them if ygm xx
But I totally respect your opinions xx
Conconz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not sure what I would say. I'm not an atheist, but I view prayer as something personal. If it wasn't said by someone close to me I don't think I'd take it very well.

I think it's quite rude to say it to an atheist though.
Ami.x:
Rep:
?
(Original post by UWS)
It's one of the things I loathe the most about religion. I don't want random people throwing their religious beliefs or practices onto me. By all means you can pray for me in your own head, just don't get me involved directly.
Im sorry if you ever feel that way, thats the thing though, I dont want to come across as some freak who is trying to force my religion onto you
ZombieTheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ami.x:)
I can understand where you are coming from. If I was going to pray for someone it would be my close friend and I would probs ask them in a way that didnt make it seem like I was praying for them but that I was praying with them if ygm xx
But I totally respect your opinions xx
What do you mean pray for them btw? And thank you, I know you are just trying to be a good friend so I respect that too.
Conconz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would love to have the confidence to pray for people at my school but I havent quite got it because I am worried they would say no, but it is amazing that you feel strong enough to do that x
That means it's about you and not them. So potentially making them uncomfortable for a selfish reason.
UWS
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im sorry if you ever feel that way, thats the thing though, I dont want to come across as some freak who is trying to force my religion onto you
Many people will feel uncomfortable about this sort of approach. Keep your beliefs to yourself and you won't have to worry about things like this
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm an atheist but if somebody said they'd pray for me, I'd just say thanks! They are just being nice, well depends on why they're praying for me...
nekoremusic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UWS)
they arent forcing it on you though? they asked if they can pray, you just have to say no lol
Conconz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nekoremusic)
they arent forcing it on you though? they asked if they can pray, you just have to say no lol
They're still asking when they didn't need to. If you know someone doesn't share your religious beliefs and ask them anyway it can be taken as offensive.
UWS
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nekoremusic)
It's a type of unsolicited action that many people feel uncomfortable about. It is beyond the point that you can say no, it's the principle of asking random people if they want to be prayed over. Not everyone will be open to things like this.

Especially when people make metaphysical claims without any evidence, I'm pretty sure things like this are better kept to themselves.
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UWS)

How very atheistic and neckbeardy of you.

Hello, Im 16 and currently in my last year of high school doing my GCSEs. I am a christian and attend church regularly. I am just curious to know, if somebody came up to you in school/college and asked to pray for you, how would you react? Would you be open to it? Are you an athiest or do you have a religion?
I'm whatever on prayer. I don't understand the liturgy behind it, and I haven't found anyone who really does. I don't get the connection between prayer and divinity. At what point is prayer purely for the human, and at what point is it a like a Deliveroo service from God? If I pray for something and get what I want - is that because it's what God wanted? If so, would it have happened without the prayer? If not - in what sense is God divine, rather than being a servant of humanity?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (89)
13.01%
1 (89)
13.01%
2 (88)
12.87%
18.86%
22.37%
19.88%

Watched Threads