The Student Room Group

Confucius China Scholarship

Has anyone applied for this course/been on it. Any advice/experience stories etc.?
Hello,

Yeah I applied to it during my last year of uni and obtained the CI scholarship for 1 year of study at Fudan University in Shanghai.
I started in September 2017 and finished July 2018 and it was literally one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I picked up the language way faster than I ever did studying it in the UK, and you meet so many people from around the world. But everyone's in the same boat of studying a second language in a foreign country so you just bond together quicker.

I applied to the scholarship with HSK4 but I think back when I applied they require a high HSK3 score (270/300). And then did my HSK 5 and HSKK intermediate during my final semester.

We had 2 semesters which are both approximately 20 weeks long each. Classes are approximately 20 hours per week. And the earliest we started was at 8am.

Scholarship covers tuition, accommodation and monthly stipend. Depending on where you study this may be enough (and if you're frugal it will be even for the more expensive cities) But I like to buy stuff, eat well and go on trips. So I did some part time English tutoring, plus I had some money saved up before going.

This is dependant on which Chinese university you go to, but they might also have some trips just for scholarship students. But otherwise I generally did a lot of travelling whilst over there, because you might as well make the most of it. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them
Reply 2
Original post by giggles42
Hello,

Yeah I applied to it during my last year of uni and obtained the CI scholarship for 1 year of study at Fudan University in Shanghai.
I started in September 2017 and finished July 2018 and it was literally one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I picked up the language way faster than I ever did studying it in the UK, and you meet so many people from around the world. But everyone's in the same boat of studying a second language in a foreign country so you just bond together quicker.

I applied to the scholarship with HSK4 but I think back when I applied they require a high HSK3 score (270/300). And then did my HSK 5 and HSKK intermediate during my final semester.

We had 2 semesters which are both approximately 20 weeks long each. Classes are approximately 20 hours per week. And the earliest we started was at 8am.

Scholarship covers tuition, accommodation and monthly stipend. Depending on where you study this may be enough (and if you're frugal it will be even for the more expensive cities) But I like to buy stuff, eat well and go on trips. So I did some part time English tutoring, plus I had some money saved up before going.

This is dependant on which Chinese university you go to, but they might also have some trips just for scholarship students. But otherwise I generally did a lot of travelling whilst over there, because you might as well make the most of it. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them

Wow giggles this is amazing. I was on the fence about whether to apply for this or not and I think I'm going to go for it now. Thanks for taking time out of your day to answer this.

Did you have to write a sort of personal statement to Fudan about why you want to get a scholarship?

Once again, thank you very much.
I think for all the applications it requires a personal statement. So I wrote mine about how I studied Chinese for 3 years as a minor at uni and that's where I developed my love and appreciation of Chinese language and culture. I went a on CI funded trip to China in my first year with my classmates and that's where I first heard about this scholarship, plus it was my first ever trip so was really an eye opener. Then I spoke about how this trip will really allow me to develop my Chinese lanagaue and learn more about the culture. And then I talked about how going on this study abroad would help me in future (e.g. career wise or study wise)
Original post by AnonymousAJ
Wow giggles this is amazing. I was on the fence about whether to apply for this or not and I think I'm going to go for it now. Thanks for taking time out of your day to answer this.

Did you have to write a sort of personal statement to Fudan about why you want to get a scholarship?

Which uni are you planning on applying to?

Reply 5
Original post by giggles42
Which uni are you planning on applying to?

Thanks. That sounds like a great plan for my PS.

Tsinghua hopefully.
Reply 6
I really appreciate all this help by the way. Thank you very much.
Wow, one of the top unis. All the best!! Although beware of the air pollution, it can be really high in Beijing at times. But you probably already knew that.
Thanks. That sounds like a great plan for my PS.

Tsinghua hopefully.
It's been my pleasure. If you think of any other questions, don't hesitate to ask them
I really appreciate all this help by the way. Thank you very much.
Reply 9
Will do! Thank you very much for your time giggles :smile:
Reply 10
I've just been accepted for a CI scholarship starting in September. I'm not sure it'll go ahead because of the coronavirus situation but my Chinese teacher asked my host university and they seem to think they'll be accepting foreign students by then. I'd love to ask a few questions to someone who's been to China on a CI scholarship before, just some basic stuff to ease my nerves really. If you can help please reply or send me a message or something, thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending