The Student Room Group

Relationship at uni

I’ve heard of the struggles having a relationship at uni which worries my boyfriend. I plan to go to a uni not far from home - an hour and I’m trying to convince him that not much will change especially when he’ll be working full time. Can someone offer advice especially if their relationship has lasted when they’ve gone to uni
Reply 1
Looks to be quite testing on a relationship what with different experiences, separation, temptations, being too young to settle really..
Original post by Elliewright784
I’ve heard of the struggles having a relationship at uni which worries my boyfriend. I plan to go to a uni not far from home - an hour and I’m trying to convince him that not much will change especially when he’ll be working full time. Can someone offer advice especially if their relationship has lasted when they’ve gone to uni

I was in a relationship when i started at uni. We had been together 3.5 years before moving away. We both went to universities incredibly far away (4.5 hours on the train) and managed incredibly well to maintain it.

We had rules - so everytime we visited eachother we would book the next visit so we were never left hanging not knowing when were going to see eachother again which always gave us something to look forward to.
We also dedicated 2 evenings a week to chat over skype. We would watch films or tv shows together over skype (takes a bit of practice ahaha).
Just make sure you communicate, if your struggling with the distance then tell them.

You can never make somebody keep trying, if it doesnt work it sadly doesnt work - but there is no harm in trying as you may both be suprised.

Me and my partner when i started uni broke up eventually - i have to say the distance did contribute but it wasnt the only factor.

My current partner and me were an hour apart when i was on one placement closer to home. We saw eachother every couple of weeks and because an hour isnt to far we were able to spend some evenings together in the week for special occassions which helped. It allowed us to be more flexible. We spend nearly 2 years long distance (4 hours away) and because he worked 6 days a week we barely saw eachother - now we are engaged and live together.

It can work, it also may not work. You have to work for it!
Original post by Elliewright784

It will be a testing period, but if you both communicate and are honest with each other than it is perfectly possible for the relationship to survive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending