the 2 after CH3 is subscript and the 2 after CH
is the answer 1,1methyl 2 hexyl butanoic acid

i just started nomenclature so didnt know how to arrange the hydroxyl group
MyPathwayToMed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You always start with the functional group in this case it is the COOH as it is a carboxylic acid. Therefore when counting the carbons you start from the functional group. Also because there is 1 methyl group I would say 3,methyl (3 because it is on the third carbon and counting from the functional group) Same with the hydroxyl group. I would name it 3-hydroxyl, 3-methyl butanoic acid. Butanoic as the longest carbon chain is 4 so the prefix would but and then oic acid cuz it is a carboxylic acid. Hope this helps!
username3944482
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by MyPathwayToMed)
You always start with the functional group in this case it is the COOH as it is a carboxylic acid. Therefore when counting the carbons you start from the functional group. Also because there is 1 methyl group I would say 3,methyl (3 because it is on the third carbon and counting from the functional group) Same with the hydroxyl group. I would name it 3-hydroxyl, 3-methyl butanoic acid. Butanoic as the longest carbon chain is 4 so the prefix would but and then oic acid cuz it is a carboxylic acid. Hope this helps!
I have just started nomenclature, did I draw it wrong. Is there only one methyl group on the second carbon. What does the subscript two mean?
Attached files
MyPathwayToMed
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lol my phone is dead god TSR loves to kill my battery real quick lol so cant send a pic rn but u k the OH is not bonded to the second instead it is bonded to the third as in the formula thing the OH is written after the C with backets meaning it is branched off that carbon. Also the carbon you have currently attached the hydrocyl group to is supposed to have bonded to two hydrogens and so could not possibly have the OH grop bonded there. The OH goes onto the third carbon also as all carbon make 4 bonds and your third carbon there is missing a bond lol dw. it is confusing at first but you will get the hang of it.
MyPathwayToMed
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You have also put in 6 carbons when in the formula there is a total of five carbons so to correct your diagram remove the carbon that is bonded to the OH and move the OH to the end of the chain where the carbon is missing a bond and is bonded to 2 CH3s. Send a pic again so I can see what you have done
username3944482
Rep:
?
lol my phone is dead god TSR loves to kill my battery real quick lol so cant send a pic rn but u k the OH is not bonded to the second instead it is bonded to the third as in the formula thing the OH is written after the C with backets meaning it is branched off that carbon. Also the carbon you have currently attached the hydrocyl group to is supposed to have bonded to two hydrogens and so could not possibly have the OH grop bonded there. The OH goes onto the third carbon also as all carbon make 4 bonds and your third carbon there is missing a bond lol dw. it is confusing at first but you will get the hang of it.
Lol , that is so confusing .
w be able to send me a picture of it any time your free (doesnt need to be today ) . you doon't need too though .
agh thanks
MyPathwayToMed
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am gunna send a pic of how you can draw it and where the groups are so just give me a minute lol
MyPathwayToMed
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
okay hi lol here is a pic. i have done it on my whiteboard. there are two ways u can draw it structure wise (u will see when u see the pic) but u will get the same answer and same name.

Name:  20181209_203520-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 60
Size:  39.4 KB
MyPathwayToMed
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the red is the numbering so where u number it from and also tells u the longest carbon chain. if u still dont get it let me know x
username3944482
Rep:
?
okay hi lol here is a pic. i have done it on my whiteboard. there are two ways u can draw it structure wise (u will see when u see the pic) but u will get the same answer and same nam
the red is the numbering so where u number it from and also tells u the longest carbon chain. if u still dont get it let me know x
ahhh thank-you . so the subscript 2 mwant place it on the next carbon ? i actually kind of get it now . thanks .
MyPathwayToMed
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by emilysandres)
ahhh thank-you . so the subscript 2 mwant place it on the next carbon ? i actually kind of get it now . thanks .
your welcome. lol no the subscript 2 just means that there are 2 of the same group attached to that carbon. Can you see on the picture how all the groups that were in brackets in the structural formula are all bonded to the third carbon in the the displayed formula? It is the brackets that tell you that the groups are attached to the carbon. Where the groups go is where it is written in the formula. If it is written in between the two carbons then you have to try and make sense which one looking at the fact that each carbon makes 4 bonds and looking at what and how many things are bonded to each carbon. It does take a while o understand lol. If you do need any help in the future always feel free to PM me x Also maybe check out the nomenclature video by Crash course chemistry on youtube. The guys name should be hank lol XD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (80)
61.54%
No (50)
38.46%

Watched Threads