The Student Room Group

I’m under 18 and I got taxed! Help!

So I’m currently 17 I’m 18 in April 2019, I’m currently temporarily contracted by Tesco in Britain and on my first wage (November 15th or 19th) I got my paid my £320 something like that but I got taxed £80 on it! And I was wondering what I can do and if I can claim it back and if so how could I go about tht?

And I am currently at college in full time education
(edited 5 years ago)
How much are you earning yearly? If its over 11850 then you pay tax
Original post by Kian808
So I’m currently 17 I’m 18 in April 2019, I’m currently temporarily contracted by Tesco in Britain and on my first wage (November 15th or 19th) I got my paid my £320 something like that but I got taxed £80 on it! And I was wondering what I can do and if I can claim it back and if so how could I go about tht?

Being under-18 doesn't exempt you from income tax.

Have you looked at your payslip? Check the tax code https://www.gov.uk/tax-codes

Ring up HMRC for clarification and they can fix it for you and process a refund if indeed your tax code is incorrect
Original post by Kian808

Like has been said- being under 18 doesnt mean you dont have to pay tax. It goes on what you earn- not your age.
If you earn under £11,850 a year you shouldnt pay tax. If its your first pay day then the tax office might have assumed you earn enough to pay tax. Phone up hmrc to get it sorted. And then you should get that money back next pay day.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
Like has been said- being under 18 doesnt mean you dont have to pay tax. It goes on what you earn- not your age.
If you earn under £11,850 a year you shouldnt pay tax. If its your first pay day then the tax office might have assumed you earn enough to pay tax. Phone up hmrc to get it sorted. And then you should get that money back next pay day.

Yes I earn under that amount but why is the number for HMRC?
Its a very common misunderstanding that 'students dont get taxed'.

You do.

But, if you earn less than the personal allowance over the tax year, you can reclaim any tax paid at the end of the tax year.
Reply 6
Original post by Kian808

Your age isn't a factor. But what is your tax code on your payslip? Is it something like BR W1?

If so speak to your manager and/or the HR team. They probably need evidence of your previous employment (e.g. a P45 tax form).

If the tax code is corrected you will get back any incorrectly paid tax automatically - if not you need to claim it from HMRC

See here:
https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Kian808

You are probably on an emergency tax code. Call HMRC on 0300 200 3300 with your National insurance number and explain the situation. They will notify your employer of your proper tax code and you will get back any overpaid tax.
Original post by Kian808

HMRC's phone number is 0300 200 3300
You will need your national insurance number. Your payslip may come in handy too.
They can get your tax code changed so that you will stop getting taxed. And you will get any overpaid tax back.
Original post by returnmigrant
Its a very common misunderstanding that 'students dont get taxed'.

You do.

But, if you earn less than the personal allowance over the tax year, you can reclaim any tax paid at the end of the tax year.

Thats not true. If you phone up HMRC to get it sorted and your tax code changed to the correct one, then you usually end up getting overpaid tax back next pay day. Trust me, ive done it myself a few times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending