The Student Room Group

How to quit my first job

Hi everyone, here's a bit of a backstory. So I just finished sixth form and I decided to pursue a career in digital marketing so at age 18 I decided to do a level 4 digital marketing course.

While most of my mates went to uni I went straight first into a 9-5:30 job in a digital marketing agency startup with about 6 employees 5 months in I didn't enjoy it much. Although my boss is cool and I like most of my collogues I found the work to be mundane and repetitious. I've decided to drop the course within 5 months and plan to go to uni.

However, im still technically working full time with this company (different contract) I don't know much about the working world so im pretty much socially awkward ( I can barely converse with my colleagues) how do I go about telling my boss about quitting? Do I write a resigning letter and put it in an envelope and just give it to him or should I talk up to my boss and just hand the letter over while talking about the reasons I'm quitting? This may sound stupid but I really don't know how to go about it, if someone can give me a step by step tutorial that would be nice thanks.

Tldr: how do I resign as a socially awkward 18 year old boy
Original post by YamchaFT
Hi everyone, here's a bit of a backstory. So I just finished sixth form and I decided to pursue a career in digital marketing so at age 18 I decided to do a level 4 digital marketing course.

While most of my mates went to uni I went straight first into a 9-5:30 job in a digital marketing agency startup with about 6 employees 5 months in I didn't enjoy it much. Although my boss is cool and I like most of my collogues I found the work to be mundane and repetitious. I've decided to drop the course within 5 months and plan to go to uni.

However, im still technically working full time with this company (different contract) I don't know much about the working world so im pretty much socially awkward ( I can barely converse with my colleagues) how do I go about telling my boss about quitting? Do I write a resigning letter and put it in an envelope and just give it to him or should I talk up to my boss and just hand the letter over while talking about the reasons I'm quitting? This may sound stupid but I really don't know how to go about it, if someone can give me a step by step tutorial that would be nice thanks.

You need to put a resignation letter in, usually you have to work 4 weeks notice.
Original post by YamchaFT

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you want to leave your job here but I wish you all the best with uni and hope this works out better for you.

Regarding handing in your notice. Check your contract over for resigning, it should tell you the proceedure and also how much notice period you need to give before you can leave.

Generally speaking you should put your resignation in writing either via letter or email (ideally a typed letter) and you should also ideally hand deliver this to your boss.

Total jobs have a nice do's and don'ts article on their website that you may find useful - https://www.totaljobs.com/careers-advice/resignation/dos-and-donts

Good luck and please don't hesitate to get back in touch should you need further help.

Thanks - Sophie.
Reply 3
Original post by Rock Fan
You need to put a resignation letter in, usually you have to work 4 weeks notice.

If you’re on probation which is usually 3-6 months depending on the company, your notice period is usually 1 week. However you can leave without giving them notice, just like an employer can fire an employee without giving them notice!

Quick Reply

Latest