The Student Room Group

Should I accept the unconditional?

I have received an unconditional offer from university of York (if I select them as my firm choice) and I'm stuck on whether to accept it or not. York was my second favourite university that I visited, with Warwick as the first. I don't know whether to accept York as it's still my second and a great university, and would take a whole lot of stress off my shoulders, or if to keep on with the dream of Warwick.

Help!
Original post by Amelia1504
I have received an unconditional offer from university of York (if I select them as my firm choice) and I'm stuck on whether to accept it or not. York was my second favourite university that I visited, with Warwick as the first. I don't know whether to accept York as it's still my second and a great university, and would take a whole lot of stress off my shoulders, or if to keep on with the dream of Warwick.

Help!

If you prefer Warwick and you believe you can achieve the grades then why shouldn't you firm it?

There is no point firming a uni if it isn't where you really want to be at. I mean you'll be there for at least three years.
Don't base it off if they give you a conditional offer or not. If a university gives you an unconditional offer, alarm bells should start ringing immediately. If York is your second favourite university, and Warwick is your first, then firm Warwick and insurance choice York. That way, if you don't get the grades to satisfy Warwick, you will be going to York no matter what.

Also, the fact that you said it would take the weight off your shoulders means you won't try as hard? That will just make your knowledge for the uni weaker and possibly get harder to achieve a 1st, 2:1, etc.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Guarddyyy
Don't base it off if they give you a conditional offer or not. If a university gives you an unconditional offer, alarm bells should start ringing immediately. If York is your second favourite university, and Warwick is your first, then firm Warwick and insurance choice York. That way, if you don't get the grades to satisfy Warwick, you will be going to York no matter what.

Also, the fact that you said it would take the weight off your shoulders means you won't try as hard? That will just make your knowledge for the uni weaker and possibly get harder to achieve a 1st, 2:1, etc.

Yeah I see what you mean. I always get incredibly stressed out but I will always work my hardest. I have problems coping with stress, which I guess is why this offer seems so appealing! I don't want to limit myself but then if I panic and don't get the grades, I don't want to end up somewhere worse, wishing I had accepted York!

There are worse problems to have I suppose 😂
Yeah I see what you mean. I always get incredibly stressed out but I will always work my hardest. I have problems coping with stress, which I guess is why this offer seems so appealing! I don't want to limit myself but then if I panic and don't get the grades, I don't want to end up somewhere worse, wishing I had accepted York!

Stress is good, but overstress isn't. If you're not stressed, you don't care about getting good grades. If you are having serious problems to a point where you're having a mental breakdown, speak to your head of studies or if your sixth form/college has one, a councilling service.

Just stay focused and keep up the hard work :smile: Congratulations for your offers so far (I'm assuming Warwick has also made you one?)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by _Mia101
If you prefer Warwick and you believe you can achieve the grades then why shouldn't you firm it?

There is no point firming a uni if it isn't where you really want to be at. I mean you'll be there for at least three years.

I mean, on a whole they're pretty much on a par. Warwick just has an edge because I prefer the campus and the distance from home, the courses are equally as good, and the entry grades are the same (AAB). I really struggle with stress and I'm so worried about flunking my A levels, and ending up somewhere worse off, wishing I had accepted the unconditional. It feels really appealing at the moment but then I don't want to limit myself! They can never just make it easy for us 😂
Reply 6
Original post by Guarddyyy
Stress is good, but overstress isn't. If you're not stressed, you don't care about getting good grades. If you are having serious problems to a point where you're having a mental breakdown, speak to your head of studies or if your sixth form/college has one, a councilling service.

Just stay focused and keep up the hard work :smile: Congratulations for your offers so far (I'm assuming Warwick has also made you one?)

Thank you :smile: I've had offers from 4/5, only missing Birmingham now. Warwick have just offered a conditional, but I never expected any different!
What's the Warwick conditional? Can't you pick Warwick as the main and York as your insurance choice? That way if the worst does happen you won't be without a uni.
Reply 8
Original post by thaliaevelyn
What's the Warwick conditional? Can't you pick Warwick as the main and York as your insurance choice? That way if the worst does happen you won't be without a uni.

The unconditional only comes if that uni is firmed, otherwise it will be conditional. Common uni tactic to temp numbers for courses.
Original post by Bio 7
The unconditional only comes if that uni is firmed, otherwise it will be conditional. Common uni tactic to temp numbers for courses.

Ew. @ op where does the third choice stand?

Ignore the unconditional-if-firm and pick the university you like the most to be your firm choice. You still have loads of time to make the decision (until May!) so there is no rush. You could always go and visit both unis again if you can to help you make up your mind. Every year we get loads of questions on results day about people wanting to get out of their firm uni choice because they only picked it for the unconditional if firm aspect. Your firm uni needs to be the one you really want to go to - you will be there for three or four years so it's important to pick the one you like the most.

These unconditional-if-firm offers are a marketing tactic to try and persuade students to pick that uni as their firm - it plays on your insecurities about feeling stressed about exams. You should feel proud because it means they think you will be great at undergrad. Pick the uni you love and work hard. You got this :dumbells:
Reply 11
Original post by thaliaevelyn
Ew. @ op where does the third choice stand?

So if on my own little rating scale:
Warwick was a 10, York is a 9, and then probably Birmingham at a 7. The other two are then down from there. That's why it's so difficult! I loved York, but it's whether I take that risk to try and get Warwick which I prefer that little bit better!

Quick Reply

Latest