The Student Room Group

University counselling or NHS based counselling service?

I'm currently going through the process of counselling for anxiety and depression and have been seeking out help from every avenue.

My GP is probably the least understanding of everyone I've met and I have a feeling I'll have a hard time getting him to sign a DSA (both counselling services have told me that my situation most certainly meets the requirements).

Anyway I have met a university counsellor and spoken over the phone to a therapist from a confidential NHS service for my local borough. Both people I have spoken to are nice and extremely understanding. Both have said I need to decide who I want support from.

The university counselling team have already said they are happy to recommend I have additional time for coursework and have already gotten me approval for mitigating circumstances on some previous work. Only problem is they only offer 6 sessions of counselling. The NHS service also mentioned 6 sessions but that they can often renew it for another 6 weeks depending on how I am.

I'm just wondering who it would be better off to go with. My university seem to be more official in terms of getting me instant help in terms of university. The NHS team seem like their word holds more weight in terms of benefits and working alongside my GP (he didn't seem keen on university counselling and suggested I go the NHS route).

Any ideas?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm currently going through the process of counselling for anxiety and depression and have been seeking out help from every avenue.

My GP is probably the least understanding of everyone I've met and I have a feeling I'll have a hard time getting him to sign a DSA (both counselling services have told me that my situation most certainly meets the requirements).

Anyway I have met a university counsellor and spoken over the phone to a therapist from a confidential NHS service for my local borough. Both people I have spoken to are nice and extremely understanding. Both have said I need to decide who I want support from.

The university counselling team have already said they are happy to recommend I have additional time for coursework and have already gotten me approval for mitigating circumstances on some previous work. Only problem is they only offer 6 sessions of counselling. The NHS service also mentioned 6 sessions but that they can often renew it for another 6 weeks depending on how I am.

I'm just wondering who it would be better off to go with. My university seem to be more official in terms of getting me instant help in terms of university. The NHS team seem like their word holds more weight in terms of benefits and working alongside my GP (he didn't seem keen on university counselling and suggested I go the NHS route).

Any ideas?

Hello,
I am currently studying at Sheffield Hallam University and have used their wellbeing services for the past 2 years. It is your decision on what you decide is the best route, and you must do what is best for you. Personally, I find the University services to be much quicker. I have been on the NHS waiting list for nearly 16 months now, with no sign of an appointment anytime soon. At uni, I can get an appointment that same week sometimes. Yes they are only 6 sessions but it is better than nothing, and if you feel you still need extra help they will offer it to you if you tell them. Have you tried going to a different GP? Sometimes it is best to switch to another doctor who is more understanding. It is difficult enough to speak up about this in the first place without you feeling judged by a professional. Do you have any other questions I can try to help you with?
Best wishes,
Emma

Quick Reply

Latest