Career in music Watch

Bella.tigerlily
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Okay bit of a long shot but...
Currently in y11 so although it’s still pretty early we’ve been encouraged to consider a levels an possible career routes. I play piano and clarinet but it hadn’t really occurred to me that there might be the possibility of ever actually making a living from it. I’ve been playing clarinet for 18 months and got grade 4 with distinction in the summer, and I’ve been playing piano for about 2 and a half years and recently got grade 5 with distinction. I also have passed g5 theory with 94 self taught and got a 9 in my music gcse mock. Since I was a bit of a late started I thought I’d always be stuck behind everyone, but so far my enthusiasm has built and it’s what I’m most passionate about. Issue is, no schools near me offer a music a Level. What should I do?... I know music won’t make me a millionaire or anything close, but would it be possible to earn a living at least?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SpangleMagnet
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unfortunately, if you wanted to do a Music course at University level I'm pretty sure you'd need an A-Level in it, alongside at least a Grade 7/8 pass in your chosen instrument.

However, it's worth continuing with your Music Theory as I believe the Grade 8 certificate is roughly equivalent to an A-Level anyway (GCSE and Grade 5 are equivalent).

It is possible to earn a living. My cello teachers are both professional musicians (playing for bands, in pit orchestras, recording etc) but make the bulk of their earnings through teaching. They teach to both private students and as peripatetic teachers in schools; one of them recently acquired QTS and is now part-time Head of Music at a school.
MegMog1515
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some unis might allow no A level if you have the theory as said above and the general idea is you’re grade 8 standard in one instrument minimum. There’s also jobs like music therapy or composition for commercials etc as well as teaching
Last edited by MegMog1515; 1 month ago
Bella.tigerlily
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by SpangleMagnet)
Unfortunately, if you wanted to do a Music course at University level I'm pretty sure you'd need an A-Level in it, alongside at least a Grade 7/8 pass in your chosen instrument.

However, it's worth continuing with your Music Theory as I believe the Grade 8 certificate is roughly equivalent to an A-Level anyway (GCSE and Grade 5 are equivalent).

It is possible to earn a living. My cello teachers are both professional musicians (playing for bands, in pit orchestras, recording etc) but make the bulk of their earnings through teaching. They teach to both private students and as peripatetic teachers in schools; one of them recently acquired QTS and is now part-time Head of Music at a school.
(Original post by MegMog1515)
Some unis might allow no A level if you have the theory as said above and the general idea is you’re grade 8 standard in one instrument minimum. There’s also jobs like music therapy or composition for commercials etc as well as teaching
Good point - with maths some unis will say further maths a Level required if offered, so they may take into account the fact I can’t take the a Level because it’s not offered? I was actually planning on continuing with theory anyway - if I got g8 theory and piano and maybe g8 clarinet that might be enough... does anyone have any experience with arsm/ dipAbrsm as I was also wondering about those.
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1366)
79.74%
Leave (347)
20.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed