The Student Room Group

Britain *can* stop Article 50 Brexit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
This is wildly implausible. Who is going to riot? Nearly all younger people are Remain. Are the fat old white men who wanted Brexit going to charge into their middle class roads and rip up the flower beds? Perhaps UKIP (average age 61) will go mental?

There are a fair amount of younger ones who voted leave too.
Original post by Rock Fan
There are a fair amount of younger ones who voted leave too.

London is extremely Remain, as are many other large places, so that leaves seaside towns and the like. I suppose a riot in Yarmouth, Basildon, Weston super Mare or Basingstoke would be hard to suppress, given they tend to only have one PC left and no actual police station under the Tory cuts they all voted for. The hurling of zimmer frames would be the biggest hazard.
London is extremely Remain, as are many other large places, so that leaves seaside towns and the like. I suppose a riot in Yarmouth, Basildon, Weston super Mare or Basingstoke would be hard to suppress, given they tend to only have one PC left and no actual police station under the Tory cuts they all voted for. The hurling of zimmer frames would be the biggest hazard.

I can imagine Great Yarmouth getting really nasty if the EU tried to ban bingo.
Original post by Trinculo
I can imagine Great Yarmouth getting really nasty if the EU tried to ban bingo.

Banning garish paint schemes and turbo sports cars would tip Essex over the edge.
This is wildly implausible. Who is going to riot? Nearly all younger people are Remain. Are the fat old white men who wanted Brexit going to charge into their middle class roads and rip up the flower beds? Perhaps UKIP (average age 61) will go mental?

Do all 52% of the voters go into this category?

I don't think there would be riots, but there's a real risk of alienation and some sort of UKIP or even BNP type party coming into British politics if Brexit doesn't happen.

As mentioned 52% voted out
Original post by jameswhughes
Do all 52% of the voters go into this category?

I don't think there would be riots, but there's a real risk of alienation and some sort of UKIP or even BNP type party coming into British politics if Brexit doesn't happen.

Oh no. A real risk of alienation. That's so much worse than the real risk of economic decline and chaos. I suppose we'd better opt for putting the UK into the economic dustbin as that's so much safer than risking some alienation.
As mentioned 52% voted out

We're discussing riots.

Not sure there's much of a risk really, is there?
We're discussing riots.

Not sure there's much of a risk really, is there?

Hope for your sake that you are right
Hope for your sake that you are right

It's utter, utter nonsense. One can believe in Farage or one can sensibly conclude that his threats (and those of his grotty Tory pals and fellow travellers like Duncan-Smith) are so much bilge and hot air.
It's utter, utter nonsense. One can believe in Farage or one can sensibly conclude that his threats (and those of his grotty Tory pals and fellow travellers like Duncan-Smith) are so much bilge and hot air.

Anyone with half a brain cell won't believe Farage
Oh no. A real risk of alienation. That's so much worse than the real risk of economic decline and chaos. I suppose we'd better opt for putting the UK into the economic dustbin as that's so much safer than risking some alienation.

By constituency leave would have won 400+ seats.

So when these people don't vote Labour or Conservative next time, what happens? I don't think you'd be shrugging off a new Brexit party or something similar holding half the seats in Westminster.
By constituency leave would have won 400+ seats.

So when these people don't vote Labour or Conservative next time, what happens?

Assuming they don't, most likely nothing. It's quite unlikely that any new Brexit party would have the resources to campaign and compete in 400 seats. The only potential one that might is a Tory splitter party.
Reply 54
They can but if they do that is pretty much political suicide considering the majority of people voted for it and even a lot of remainers feel that the vote should be respected and Brexit needs to be delivered.

Growth but less growth than there would have otherwise been and the figures have widely been rubbished by all sorts of reputable people.

Let’s also not forget the fact that the figures includes no changes from the current situation other than no deal for 12 years.

No tax changes, no spend changes, no changes in laws, trade deals, QE or regulatory changes.

It also only takes into account GDP and not GDP per capita which is a much more valuable figure.
The British people voted to advise the government to Leave the EU.

- But did they vote to leave with no deal?
- Did they vote to unconditionally accept Theresa May’s deal no matter what it might turn out to be?
- Did they vote in the hope of getting a deal which was better than those two options? (And what were they hoping for if a better deal was not possible?)

Can anyone actually answer this question for certain, without there being a referendum?

Jacob Rees-Mogg and Nigel Farage are perfectly happy with no deal. Theresa May and Stephen Barclay want the existing deal. Jeremy Corbyn and Boris Johnson want a better deal. But how do any of them know that the majority of British people agree with them? The simple answer is, they don’t.

If you want to carry out the will of the British people on this matter (which is a different issue from the binary choice of Leave and Remain), then you need the people to vote. Simple as that.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
The British people voted to advise the government to Leave the EU.

- But did they vote to leave with no deal?
- Did they vote to unconditionally accept Theresa May’s deal no matter what it might turn out to be?
- Did they vote in the hope of getting a deal which was better than those two options? (And what were they hoping for if a better deal was not possible?)

Can anyone actually answer this question for certain, without there being a referendum?

Jacob Rees-Mogg and Nigel Farage are perfectly happy with no deal. Theresa May and Stephen Barclay want the existing deal. Jeremy Corbyn and Boris Johnson want a better deal. But how do any of them know that the majority of British people agree with them? The simple answer is, they don’t.

If you want to carry out the will of the British people on this matter (which is a different issue from the binary choice of Leave and Remain), then you need the people to vote. Simple as that.

Do you want another referendum or a general election? If it's a referendum, what should be the question?
Do you want another referendum or a general election? If it's a referendum, what should be the question?

I would prefer a referendum, because in a general election there is a risk that not all of the possible Brexit options are adequately reflected by the parties vying for our votes (e.g. I suppose it’s unlikely that any of them would have “no deal” in their manifesto).

In the referendum, I think that the question should basically consist of the following options:
1] Accepting the deal that the government ultimately negotiates with the EU (which should be published in full from beforehand)
2] Leaving the EU with no deal and reverting to WTO rules
3] Remaining in the EU

I don’t know how plausible this is, but I think it is also fair to say that in order for Remain to win, they must have more votes than both of the two Leave options put together - not just the most votes individually.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by tazarooni89
I would prefer a referendum, because in a general election there is a risk that not all of the possible Brexit options are adequately reflected by the parties vying for our votes (e.g. I suppose it’s unlikely that any of them would have “no deal” in their manifesto).

In the referendum, I think that the question should basically consist of the following options:
1] Accepting the deal that the government ultimately negotiates with the EU (which should be published in full from beforehand)
2] Leaving the EU with no deal and reverting to WTO rules
3] Remaining in the EU

I don’t know how plausible this is, but I think it is also fair to say that in order for Remain to win, they must have more votes than both of the two Leave options put together - not just the most votes individually.

No it needs to be a 2 stage vote: Accept vs Reject the Deal. And then if it's Rejected: No Deal Brexit vs Remain in the EU.

Keep in mind Article 50 can be rescinded unilaterally by the UK - the ECJ has confirmed it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending