Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are your honest opinions on my university choices for Law with ABB A-Level predicted grades (and A for EPQ)? I'm an international student and I've kind of gone for universities slightly (not really) closer to Surrey because I have relatives there. My choices:

- University of Bristol (A*AA) - the only LNAT university I'm applying to.
    - QMUL (A*AA) / more likely Warwick (AAA)
    - University of Birmingham (AAB with A in EPQ)
    - University of Sheffield (AAB with A in EPQ)
    - University of Essex (BBB)

Am I aiming too high?? Should I rethink my choices?? Regretfully, I underachieved a LOT in my AS (BBCD), but I'm planning to take resits this January. Also, I've heard that QMUL does not always stick with their A*AA offer for Law so, any opinions? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think your aiming a bit too high if your predicted ABB.You don’t want to apply to universities and end up getting rejected or not making your offers and having to go to a university that wasn’t in your top choices. I was predicted ABB and I applied for 2 universities of ABB and 2 BCC and one CDD to ensure that I have a wide range of universities depending on how well I do at a level!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    A little confused about some of the location choices if your aim was close to Surrey? Sheffield is pretty far from Surrey, and Bristol and Birmingham aren’t exactly close...

I do also think you’re being a little ambitious if you’re predicted ABB off of BBCD AS levels. Obviously there’s nothing wrong with ambition but I would be prepared that you may not get many offers, and if you do get offers then you will likely to be expected to hit those grades (so if you’re given an AAB offer, they may not take lower). However ultimately, no one knows for sure so if those are the universities you like then apply - just be prepared that you’re likely going to be competing with people who have achieved and are predicted higher than you and the university’s offer. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mumoneymon)
    What are your honest opinions on my university choices for Law with ABB A-Level predicted grades (and A for EPQ)? I'm an international student and I've kind of gone for universities slightly (not really) closer to Surrey because I have relatives there. My choices:

- University of Bristol (A*AA) - the only LNAT university I'm applying to.
    - QMUL (A*AA) or Warwick (AAA)
    - University of Birmingham (AAB with A in EPQ)
    - University of Sheffield (AAB with A in EPQ)
    - University of Essex (BBB)

Am I aiming too high?? Should I rethink my choices?? Regretfully, I underachieved a LOT in my AS (BBCD), but I'm planning to take resits this January. Also, I've heard that QMUL does not always stick with their A*AA offer for Law so, any opinions? Thanks!
    We must remember that stated offer is not necessarily the uni's true offer. Meaning a uni like Manchester, which offers AAA, really means ABB-AAB.

So for me, the only huge error is putting down Essex! They will be in Clearing anyway, let's not waste time. You have a shot of getting into Warwick, Brum and Sheffield -- Bristol and QMUL are a little more complicated. QMUL certainly takes in a lot lower than their stated offer, but I suspect that's people with A*AA predictions (or AAA), who end up getting ABB. Rather than giving offers to people predicted ABB off the bat.

I would suggest just trying to get those predictions up a little higher, so that you can make a good first impression which will make you likely to get a QMUL-Brizzy offer. And when you end up getting lower, you'll still be in the mix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenSmith9699)
    Personally I think your aiming a bit too high if your predicted ABB.You don’t want to apply to universities and end up getting rejected or not making your offers and having to go to a university that wasn’t in your top choices. I was predicted ABB and I applied for 2 universities of ABB and 2 BCC and one CDD to ensure that I have a wide range of universities depending on how well I do at a level!
    Putting down 'a wide range of universities' is how otherwise decent candidates end up crying because they've realised that they've ended up at the University of South Irrelevance

(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
    A little confused about some of the location choices if your aim was close to Surrey? Sheffield is pretty far from Surrey, and Bristol and Birmingham aren’t exactly close...

I do also think you’re being a little ambitious if you’re predicted ABB off of BBCD AS levels. Obviously there’s nothing wrong with ambition but I would be prepared that you may not get many offers, and if you do get offers then you will likely to be expected to hit those grades (so if you’re given an AAB offer, they may not take lower). However ultimately, no one knows for sure so if those are the universities you like then apply - just be prepared that you’re likely going to be competing with people who have achieved and are predicted higher than you and the university’s offer. Best of luck!
    They only need one offer, and it'll probably come from Brum or Sheffield, so they're alright

(Original post by Notoriety)
    We must remember that stated offer is not necessarily the uni's true offer. Meaning a uni like Manchester, which offers AAA, really means ABB-AAB.

So for me, the only huge error is putting down Essex! They will be in Clearing anyway, let's not waste time. You have a shot of getting into Warwick, Brum and Sheffield -- Bristol and QMUL are a little more complicated. QMUL certainly takes in a lot lower than their stated offer, but I suspect that's people with A*AA predictions (or AAA), who end up getting ABB. Rather than giving offers to people predicted ABB off the bat.

I would suggest just trying to get those predictions up a little higher, so that you can make a good first impression which will make you likely to get a QMUL-Brizzy offer. And when you end up getting lower, you'll still be in the mix.
    ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    ^
    Loooooool chill 😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    Loooooool chill 😂😂😂
    i am chill - i have developed my ability to be mean to strangers on the internet without feeling a thing

thanks TSR

ReputationRep:
    i am chill - i have developed my ability to be mean to strangers on the internet without feeling a thing

thanks TSR
    Being mean to strangers isn’t nice nor correct? Maybe think about other people’s feelings before you decide to “be mean to strangers without feeling a thing”. If someone started being mean to you, you wouldn’t like it👍this thread is simply to help someone and offer advice, no one was trying to be unhelpful.

ReputationRep:
    Being mean to strangers isn’t nice nor correct? Maybe think about other people’s feelings before you decide to “be mean to strangers without feeling a thing”. If someone started being mean to you, you wouldn’t like it👍this thread is simply to help someone and offer advice, no one was trying to be unhelpful.
    When the meanness includes statements that are truthful, it's correct.

I've stopped caring about what people's intentions are on the internet. I'm more interested in you not passing on the junk advice that your teachers gave you to others.

ReputationRep:

thanks TSR
    I was born with the gift, and it extends to strangers face-to-face. I believe they call it autism, but why label it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    I was born with the gift, and it extends to strangers face-to-face. I believe they call it autism, but why label it.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    When the meanness includes statements that are truthful, it's correct.

I've stopped caring about what people's intentions are on the internet. I'm more interested in you not passing on the junk advice that your teachers gave you to others.
    “Junk advice “loool sorry super intelligent person. Didn’t realise you knew everything and everyone’s else’s OPINIONS didn’t matter😂😂

ReputationRep:
    “Junk advice “loool sorry super intelligent person. Didn’t realise you knew everything and everyone’s else’s OPINIONS didn’t matter😂😂
    Opinions aren't relevant here luv. Nor do you need to be super intelligent to read a few PDFs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mumoneymon)
    If you're still thinking about this, have you considered Royal Holloway (part of the University of London)? It's in Surrey and could be a good alternative to Essex

ReputationRep:
    None of those are close to Surrey

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 27, 2018

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.